Kelsey demountable wheels early patent

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Kelsey demountable wheels early patent
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 02:46 pm:

I have a set of four Kelsey Wheel Co. 30 x 3 1/2 demountable wheels No. 99 that fit a Model T Ford. Patent date is 2/23/15. The demountable feature is rather unique. Any info on these wheels would be appreciated.

(Message edited by adminchris on April 17, 2014)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 02:48 pm:

One more thing. The spokes are wood but the felloes are metal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 05:50 pm:

Richard,

Great find! I would guess [as in I do NOT know] they were offered by Kelsey before Kelsey began supplying Ford with demountable 88 rims that were held on with the loose lugs and 4 bolts.

I wonder if they were built especially for the Fords or for a different car and the Ford hubs were inserted into them?

Also -- can you describe or show how the rim is attached to the felloe?

If you could take additional photos etc. and post and/or send them my way (just click on my name at the beginning of the post and it brings up my profile -- my e-mail address is the third line down.)

Does anyone have any advertisements for the Kelsey 99 demountable wheels? I did a quick look on Google and at: http://books.google.com/books?id=U_EyAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA478&dq=Kelsey+Wheel+Co.+demou ntable+99&hl=en&sa=X&ei=zEpQU8D1GdTKsQTmm4G4Cw&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Kelse y%20Wheel%20Co.%20demountable%2099&f=false they had lots of wheels including wooden disk wheels -- but I did not see a Kelsey 99. I think it was around 752 -- but I just lost it and I need to run.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 09:51 pm:

Hap, the hubs are original to the wheels. They have not been swapped out. I don't know how the felloe is attached to the rim. I hesitate to take one apart because it looks to me they have never been separated. If I keep them, I would mount tires the same way as you would non demountables.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 06:28 am:

Richard, a fascinating find. In the absence of a way to mount the rims on the felloe, using them as non-demountables makes sense.

That cap over the join may yield a clue about their mounting. It looks to pivot at the rivet, the dimples either side keep it in place, the hole may be there to allow it to be punched aside. What is under it? Is there only one such cap on each?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 11:20 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 02:27 pm:

Michelin racing wheels circa 1913 also had a screw mechanism that changed the diameter of the rim to clamp it to the wheel. The idea was to put the tire on the rim ( off the wheel) and with the rim run to minimum size. Then inflate the tire and run the rim out to a size where it will slip on the wheel. A spare rim with tire would be carried inflated and expanded. When put on a wheel it was run down to such diameter that it clamped around the wheel. Note that this can only be done with clincher tires that do not have wire in their beads. I also suspect that it may not work today since our tires are not 100% natural rubber with cotton fiber and are thus not as pliable and have enough stretch to allow such a change in diameter coming from a short section of the tire.
There is a story about one of the early race car drivers who couldn't stand to stay in the pits while the mechanics mounted tires for his car. As they expanded the tires on his Michelin rims the sound of ripping cords in the tires was more than he could stand knowing that he would soon be running at close to 100MPH on them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 06:17 pm:

Richard, building on Layden's input, you may be able to get a wrench on that square section via the slot in the felloe. The rivets in the joiner may hold a threaded stop on one end of the rim. Winding the gap in the rim closed may/may not release it from the felloe. Worth a try if the square will turn. It is hard to imagine that such a small reduction in the circumference of the rim would make much difference to the fit. Perhaps when mounted with a tyre the gap would be much larger. As they stand they might just have been wound out just enough to stay in place.

Still curious,

Allan from down under.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration