1922 coupe spare tire holder

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1922 coupe spare tire holder
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie Rathbone on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 03:26 pm:

Just wondering if someone with a coupe can give me the lengths of the spare tire brackets that bolt to the frame. I have discovered there are different lengths brackets and possibly differences for 21 inch tires. Any info on what changes and which holder goes with what car would be greatly appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 05:45 pm:

Willie Rathbone:

You forgot to say what year your coupe is. I can measure my 24 which has the correct brackets if its the same year or close.

By the way, not only are there different length brackets but different angles. Yours should be almost straight up and down.

coupe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie Rathbone on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 06:47 pm:

Dave, my coupe is a 22 with 30 3.5 tires. Also, what makes "Briggs " body

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie Rathbone on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 04:43 pm:

Just want to say thanks to all you coupe owners for going out if your way to help me out! Have a great Easter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 05:30 pm:

Just noticed you've got 30x3.5's....my (1923) 21 incher isn't going to be of any help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 01:40 am:

Willie,
I have a 1922 coupe also. It still has its original tire carrier. The crossbar for the license plate and tail lamp is about 21-1/2 inches long. The brackets or arms that attach it to the frame and rear cross member measure 11 inches out from the rear cross member to the center of the lower rivet that attaches the arm to the "D" shaped ring that holds the spare rim.

All 1922 Fords use the same spare tire carrier, no matter what the body style. The angle is the same for a coupe as for a touring, etc.

I believe that the tire carriers that reach out further are for the Fordor (4 door) sedans that came out for 1923. Those bodies are 3" longer in back, so the measurement from the frame cross member to the center of the lower rivet is about 12-3/4".

If you run across a tire carrier that has a crossbar that is about 19-1/2" long, it is for a 1925 model that had 21 inch wheels. They have other identifying features also.

As a side note, there were more coupes made in 1922 than all of the roadsters with starters and without starters combined. It seems that the survival rate is not too great on the coupes. That is what the production numbers show in Bruce's black book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 09:26 am:

Due to the fact I don't own a '22 coupe, I haven't researched them much, but as I recall, the earlier spare tire carriers are somewhat different than the later ones, and I'm talking 30 X 3 1/2. If someone could post some photos, that would be helpful.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration