Bakersfield Photos and Musings?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Bakersfield Photos and Musings?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 08:50 pm:

I wasn't able to attend Bakersfield this year due to a wedding. Damn family. I haven't seen any photos or write ups on the Forum or maybe I have missed them? Chickasha certainly got a lot of coverage...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 09:43 pm:

Crowd was down. I was selling mostly brass era stuff and got some lookers, but little sales on parts. My original 1919 touring car sold, but little else. I got the impression if you were willing to give stuff away, you'd find buyers, otherwise not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 10:49 pm:

I did very well selling the remaining brass era parts for a Widow of a very good friend. Yes, prices were very low and everything sold. The Widow is happy and I'm happy feeling I did a good deed. Magneto's were hard to sell....more Magneto's at this swap meet than I have seen in a long time. I had 10 Magneto's for sale....all were heavy, No Bosch or Splitdorf....mostly Simmons. On Saturday morning, I sold them all for $150.00. The buyer got a screaming deal and I no-longer had to drag boat anchor's around. Life is trade-offs. Felt extremely good on giving someone else a great deal.
Sorry, I did not take pictures.....was too busy selling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 01:11 am:

I'll get some up in a few days, as as I find my upload cable, driving me nuts.
George n L.A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 01:13 am:

Bakersfield is my favorite swap meet. Great weather, good people, swap meet on the grass, who could ask for more? Sales were good, but as usual I bought more then I sold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 10:25 am:

a
We didn't take many photos at the swap meet... too busy looking for and finding parts:-)
Cindy & I did take a number of photos of the HCCA Grizzly Bear tour as well as the Bakersfield tour. I'm starting to post them on the HCCA forum.
http://boards.hcca.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=646

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 03:11 pm:

My camera died last year, so no photos. Guess I will have to break down and buy another one.
It was a great meet for model T stuff! Quite a bit of other stuff as well. One pickup load was mostly Metz and early Hupp. I saw parts for many other early cars also. I did not see very much for steam car parts like I have in past years.
It was way too hot for me. Anything much over 85 F and I suffer. Some people thought I was going to keel over right there.
Still, I brought home an Eggs-pedition loaded with T parts to help fill out a few project piles.
Truly, it is one of the best swap meets for model Ts and other early cars. Someday, I would like to make it to Chickasha or Brass-in-Bucks County.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 04:11 pm:

Too flippin hot for me - didn't take the camera out but had a good time visiting with some old friends - was great to see Ralph Ricks, Glen & Mark Chaffin, Kim D., RV, Bill B. and others to name a few. Did purchase a rather nice, accessory keyboard (with a full set of keys) to go with my others !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 05:48 pm:

Steve, very nice key board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 11:14 am:

I just posted 20 additional photos from the Grizzly Bear tour (see the link above on my 4/18 post) I'm going to start a new post with photos of the Bakersfield tour. Stay tuned... :-)t

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 12:01 pm:

Here's the link to photos of the HCCA and Kern County Model T Club Bakersfield tour as promised:

http://boards.hcca.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=746

t

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 02:42 pm:

Bakersfield looks like a nice place if you like to look at other peoples cars. but if you need parts .well!! charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 03:33 pm:

Charley: Sorry you feel that way. The Bakersfield swap meet was a wonderful event. I just didn't take photos of rows of parts. Sorry. I did however take photos of the tour put on by the same organizers. I do enjoy actually driving my Model Ts. Not just hunting parts. I'm amused at how little is posted on the actual use of our great cars. Sure it's fun to put one together, but isn't the ultimate goal to get it out with other antiques and drive!
I have posted photos and videos of various events in the past with little comment or feedback. I do appreciate both the positive and negative comments to at least know that someone is watching.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 04:04 pm:

Charley: Bakersfield is just horrible! Very few parts available for purchase. I'll be going back again next year just to see if anything does show up. I'll be sure to report back to you. :D

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 04:40 pm:

Concerning what Mark said: I guess it all depends on what parts you are looking for. Since all my cars are complete and running, I didn't buy much, but I saw a lot of good parts for sale from body parts, engines and transmissions. I saw at least 3 complete Ruckstells and many wheels even tires. There were quite a few cars for sale anywhere from a completely disassembled car to a very nice centerdoor. There were several tourings of various years for sale too. Now many new parts for sale, but that's what we have catelogs for.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 04:43 pm:

Last sentence Not many new ***

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 05:02 pm:

Bill - Nice Pics. Thank you for posting them.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 07:32 pm:

Regarding my previous post. I love Bakersfield! Best swap meet in California in my opinion. I was just trying to minimize the positive exposure to keep all the good deals to myself. :D

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 09:57 pm:

I wonder how many buyers there were, compared to sellers/buyers? I sold only, but bet most sellers also bought.

I guess you would know by the take at the gate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 10:05 pm:

On Friday morning there was a significant crowd. Come 11AM it trickled down to a few. A lot on sellers left Friday afternoon and did not return Saturday morning. The traffic Saturday morning was limited. Sellers were mostly all gone by noon. I would say most sellers were also buyers. Still my favorite of them all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 12:32 am:

Bill H,
I agree, the goal should be to get the car running so that you can enjoy driving with other cars on tours. I haven't toured much for several years now because of needy messed up family. I hope to do more touring before too many years go by.
In the mean time. Thank you for all the posting of photos and videos (I have seen a bunch on the HCCA site). It helps to keep my hopes up.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 11:51 am:

Thank you for the feedback. We would have shot video of the events but our Flip Video cameras are no longer supported.
We had to shoot stills. We're looking into new video cameras so that we may again post these great machines and the caretakers in sound & motion :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 09:10 pm:

Update: The HCCA website now has a gallery of photos from the Bakersfield swap meet :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 07:58 am:

The pictures on the HCCA website are here:
http://boards.hcca.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=746&p=1838#p1838

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 10:18 am:

Royce: The link you posted is for the photos that Cindy & I took of the tour. Here's the link to the Swap Meet photos:

http://www.hcca.org/tours/Bakersfield2014/action.html

I posted the prior note from my phone & couldn't include the link :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 03:45 pm:

bill!! still no pixs yet. did anything sell?? charley

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration