OT Problem uploading pictures.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT Problem uploading pictures.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 09:30 am:

I recently went to Windows 7. Trying to use same procedure I used previously to post a picture and pic won't upload. Every thing seems to work till I hit "Add Image" and nothing happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 09:45 am:

OK May have a clue. When I try to upload an older (from previous computer) resized picture it seems to work. May be a problem with new resizer program. "Image Resizer Power Toy Clone for Windows." Should I get rid of it and try another?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 10:54 am:

Right click on the resized photo and verify that it is a .jpg file and is smaller than 194K. If it is, it should upload. If it's bigger than 194K, you may have to fiddle with your resizer program's settings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 10:58 am:

Gary,
Your Image Resizer Power Toy Clone for Windows should work in Windows 7. The key with any resizer is for this site that the file size can be no larger then 94 KB. What size are you selecting in this box?

More details at:
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/image-resizer-powertoy-clone-for-windows-7vista/

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 10:59 am:

Sorry, the size limit is 194KB and not 94KB.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 11:49 am:

I like to resize by adjusting the height to the highest number that will give a Resulting Size of 194 KB. For vertical format pictures I limit the height to no more than 720 pixels so they won't be too tall for the screen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 05:28 pm:

Hi All
Just making the photo ‘smaller’ does not necessarily solve the problem . . .

The “Resize Pictures” screen shot posted above seems to only deal with the physical size
of your photo, and while the file size likely comes down as the physical size is reduced,
it does not seem to allow you to adjust the resolution (pixels per inch) as it does in Jeff’s program.
As Jeff indicates, it’s nice to have pictures that are not miniscule or monstrous when members
are viewing them. A quick “View Image Info” look at his screen shot shows the following (ideal)
details for viewing and posting that picture.

Width – 740 pixels
Height – 659 pixels
Resolution – 180 pixels per inch
File size – 172.35 KB (176,482 bytes)

The beauty of Steve’s software is that once he chooses the physical size of his photo, he can
adjust the ‘Resolution’ up or down until the file size shows less than the194KB limit.
Keeping the physical size desired while still keeping the resolution as high as possible without
pushing the file size over the 194KB limit is the desired goal.
If the “Resize Pictures” software does not have resolution control (pixels per inch), then best
look for freebie software that does.
It may even be that the software that came with your camera has it.

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 06:04 pm:

I may have got something to work. Seems I had two sets of pictures depending on path I took. If I resized a pic while on line the resize pic would show up. If I went to my pictures off line the resized pic would be missing. UGH. Picture I was trying to post was jpg and 50.3KB so don't know why I was having problem. I miss XP. Seems Win 7 is always trying to do short cuts for you and things happen you are not aware of. At least it seems that way to this self taught old fart. Only training I had on computers was when we were happy with 40 meg hard drives. Any way, Thanks everyone for the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 10:29 pm:

Art,
You are correct that the photo size is made up of two components. One is the file size in KB and for this site the limit is 194KB. The other component is the image size in pixels wide and high. There is no limit in the image size on this site but a reasonable size for good web posting is around 800 pixels wide and 600 pixel high.

The resolution of the image in pixels (or dots) per inch only effects the size of printed photos and has no effect on the size of the image file or the size that an image is displayed on a computer screen.

In some photo resizers (like photoshop) you have the option to set the image size in pixels (width and height) and then when you save the file you select the quality. The quality will control the final file size. As I said before the resolution has no effect on images displayed on a computer monitor.

In Gary's case, he does not have an option to set the quality (file size) but in general if he selects the 640 x 480 or the 800 x 600 size he will likely be under the 194 KB size limit. If he uses the 800 x 600 size he should check the file size to make sure that it is not too large.

Here is more info on resolution:
http://dotmonster.co/image-resolution-for-website-design-and-graphic-design/

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 11:39 pm:

I have Windows 7 and on it; the 'paint' feature has a resizing feature. It is the easiest way that I have found.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 03:22 am:

Hi Jim

I stand corrected, and appreciate your including of the how and why with your post.
I’m the first to admit to my being a rank amateur with an older version of Photoshop,
and my use of it involves a lot of ‘try this’ or ‘wonder what this does’ approach when using it.
I did indeed mistakenly assume that the use of the “Quality” slider to reduce the FILE size
when saving a photo to post to the group was changing the resolution by compressing the file size.
Tweaking or enhancing the photos before I got to that stage is likely the only thing that made my photos somewhat useable.
Fortunately, as my computer is now my photo album (with appropriate backups of treasured photos) with the
low cost of working space and backup storage medium I tend towards keeping high resolution whenever possible.

Thanks again
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 11:41 am:

Art,
You bring up a very good point. Memory cards and storage space are relatively cheap. I always recommend taking photos at the highest possible camera quality setting and to never resize the original photo file from the camera without renaming the file as a new file. In almost all cases the original full sized file should be preserved.

Too many times I have seen otherwise wall hanger quality photos that were taken with a very low quality camera setting or had been resized and the original high quality file was over written and/or lost.

Also, as you said it is very important to backup your photo storage to prevent the total loss if one storage method fails. All computer hard drives fail at some point.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 01:00 pm:

A little food for thought . . .

Photo storage -
It seems like in the past every time I heard of a house fire the people
involved lamented the loss of photo albums as their first thought.
I wonder how many folks these days stop and realize that photo albums were
seldom taken in a break in, while now their computer may be a prime target.
Neither method will likely survive a fire.
The unknown factor now will be the viability or longevity of the storage medium.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 01:21 pm:

You could also use one of the photo storage places like Flickr or Photobucket;
https://www.flickr.com/
http://s1101.photobucket.com/
I copy my photos I want to post here into photobucket then use the link. I have a photo resizing program and have tried a couple of others and found it more work to do a couple of pictures which seemed to get lost in a wrong file anyway or had to be redone several times to get to the right size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 02:30 pm:

"...had to be redone several times to get to the right size."

That's one of several reasons I was so glad to get rid of that HP laptop and replace it with a Mac. I like seeing what the file size will be before I hit the OK button.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 06:39 pm:

ok. if you want to see how easy it can be to load pixs try the wokr web site. no fooling with sizing!! push the button and your done. same thing on e-bay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!charley p.s. it keeps your password

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration