Model T Vaporizer Carb

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Model T Vaporizer Carb
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Stevens on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 11:52 am:

Got a question for those of you that know. How good are these carburetors? Have one on my '27 Coupe and believe it's the cause of my engine running rough. Thinking of switching to a more traditional updraft setup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 12:24 pm:

Here is another thread with some ideas:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/27744.html?1188862571

This kind of tells the story, they're a great carb when working correctly but they are more temperamental and there is a reason Ford didn't continue the vaporizer into the Model A.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 12:54 pm:

So easy to switch to a good running and simple setup used the year before. The standard intake/exhaust manifolds and the NH carburetor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 12:58 pm:

Depending on your abilities and mind set, it may be a good challenge to work on that vaporizer and get it back to specification and running like it did when it left the factory. It can be done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 01:41 pm:

I went through three of them before I got one that ran fairly well. I switched over from an NH because I wanted the car to be correct but I am thinking about going back to the NH because of hard starting when cold and little or no ability to adjust the vaporizer. The one bright spot is that when warm I get free starts almost all the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 02:48 pm:

I have used two types of vaporizers on my car: the more familiar Holley that has an Atlas heater manifold and the Kingston, which I am currently using. I have been told by numerous Model T owners that have driven my car that my sedan had the best running Holley vaporizer they have ever seen. I did replace most of the parts and set the float level to what the book says and it always fired up quickly with the starter; however, it was quite difficult to hand crank.

The Kingston takes a bit longer to start, but the car has much better acceleration and power than the Holley. Then again, I bought it last October and used it for less than a month before the crankshaft broke. I have only had the car out for a few short drives since the rebuild, so I am still in the "getting-to-know-you" phase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Lanning on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 03:01 pm:

I've received a lot of good information on this site about the Vaporizers. I have 2 '27s, both with vaporizers. I worked on all the air leak possibilities including manifold gaskets, vaporizer plate, heat tube, making sure proper float level, making sure all internal passages weren't obstructed etc. I think on mine, the biggest problem was rust buildup in the passages around the main fixed jet straight up from the bowl drain. It took a lot of time and patience to get it to screw out of the housing, and when it came out I dug out a lot of rust and scale out of the cast iron housing. It's a wonder it ran at all. Now, I get free starts frequently, the dash adjusting needle gets a noticeable change in operation in as little as 1/4 turn either direction. I think I have succeeded making a vaporizer operate as it was intended

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 03:07 pm:

The vaporizer on my 1927 Touring starting running poorly and I put a new heating plate (http://www.modeltford.com/item/6273.aspx) in it and it was running like a kid again.

Even so I eventually switched to an NH on the advise of some T friends. The NH is peppier in my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 03:35 pm:

I am running an NH with an over the top linkage setup. I don't want to punch out my original, number matching engine. I'm sure at some point I'll play around with a vaporizer but for now I just enjoy driving the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 03:48 pm:

John:

You have to get a Kingston Vaporizer. They run incredibly well!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Kuhnash Southeastern Ohio on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 04:06 pm:

I rebuilt my Holly vaporizer, made sure it was all good, tight no air leaks. I thought it ran pretty good easy starting, frequent free starts, good milage all in all a good reliable carb. Just for grins I replaced it with a notch NH I rebuilt. I dont think I'll go back to the vaporizer, not as many free starts, but starts good, milage is about the same, but it has more Ooomph. I have high compression pistons and a reground 280 cam, it really help with the low end torque. I am pulling hills in high that I was once downshifting and seems to have a higher top end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 07:52 pm:

kingston L4 is the way to go It makes it idle really nice

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration