1926 Model TT engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1926 Model TT engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Schweikert on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 12:21 pm:

I've recently finished my first rebuild of a 1926 engine. It went well, read the books and tried to do the best I could with common tools. One question I do have, when I finished the flywheel (new triple gear pins, honed new triple gear bushings) when I put the drum assembly on, rotating in one direction, the gears rumbled, or made noise, going in the other direction, nice and quiet. I figured wrongly that reverse might be noisy, and didn't concern me. I was wrong. Well, now its running and in the truck. Low gear now, makes a terrible noise, and I see fuzzies on the trans magnet. high gear no issues. I made sure there was clearance on the flanges of the triple gear bushings and they rotated freely. The main shaft bushing is slightly loose, but didn't think I needed to replace.

Could you advise as to what I did wrong, and how to get correct?. Other than that, its been a great success.

Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 12:58 pm:

Michael, I don't have it in front of me but the Triple Gears have timing marks on them. Did you make sure to line these up? Fuzzys on the Drain magnet would be normal for a trans breaking in. Chips would be bad though. In low gear I think that the Triple Gears would be spinning their fastest and that could produce a noise not present at higher speeds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 02:17 pm:

Triple gears only spin in low, reverse and neutral, in high they are just going for the ride.

Fuzz on any of the magnets is normal, on a fresh rebuild the rings seat to the cylinders and the fines collect on the magnets. It is normal for that to become less as the engine breaks in. Oil is cheap, change it often during break in.

Your didn't say if the transmission has more noise after your rebuild. Changing out any of the gears can produce a different sound as the old gears wear to each other.

Some transmission just make more noise than others, some so loud cats and dogs run for cover blocks away.

You comment about one direction vs the other produced more noise, kind of normal. IMO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Schweikert on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 06:34 pm:

Thanks for the responses, appreciate it. This is my first time rebuilding a T engine. I do hit and miss engines and other antique engines as a hobby. The engine actually was not a runner when we got it, so don't know any history on it at all. Yes, I did put new rings in, new x'd rods and cam bearings. New Kevlar bands, I honed the new bushings on the triple pins, and they were loose on the new pins. No fancy measuring done there. I did index them with the marks as shown. I wonder if the noise is the drum hitting the triple gears, as they are now away from the flywheel more, when originally one was digging into it. The bearings are 010 off of the gear as written. The fuzz on the magnet is exactly as described and getting less over time.
The trans sounds like a box of rocks in low, high quiet as a church mouse. Here is a pix after an hour of run time.
I put a new coil ring in, recharged the magnets, new ring gear and set the gap with a KR Wilson tool. Hope this adds to the discussion. Other thoughts??

Here are youtube vids on my channel too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9YotJ3vRF0&list=UUzDscwH1lIUxZqRyskIOpZwtrans1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 02:43 am:

It is important that the triple gear bushings are honed in a vertical machine to assure trueness, if the honed is hand held it may not be true.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration