OT Wire Advice Needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT Wire Advice Needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 12:51 pm:

You Fellows always seem to have the right answer so I'll ask here before beginning my hunt. My 1917 Maxwell choke wire rusted away decades ago. I checked the parts book and it shows a coiled wire with a tiny spring clip. The choke rod is very small diameter 6 inches long and has a hole just a tiny bit larger than a paper clip. The choke lever on the carb is spring loaded so all the wire has to do is pull and the spring returns the choke to the "run" position. I planned on going to a music store and see if they had a guitar or piano string that matches the hole in my choke rod as that would be the strongest wire of such tiny diameter that I know of. Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?

Howard Denniswire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 01:37 pm:

As I was reading your post I was ready to suggest a guitar string, but you beat me to it. Of the six (E,B,G,D,A,E,) strings on a guitar, the G looks like it would be about the right size as it is the strongest unwound string and it has the brass reinforced barrel hole wound into one end for the clip. You could get a spring clip from the keyring section of a hardware store that cuts keys and using a Dremel tool and pair of needle nose pliers, modify it to look exactly like the original clip. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 02:07 pm:

Thanks Jim, never having dealt with a guitar string, will I be able to bend it 90 degrees twice after inserting it in the choke rod without breaking it? I guess what I'm asking is how brittle is it?

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 02:19 pm:

Yes, you can bend the G string without it breaking, after all, it must be pliable enough to wind around the tuning peg without breaking, so it is not made of brittle spring wire. If you go to a music store, they might have some old strings they changed out which you can look at close up and they might even give you. The bass D string just above the G is wound with a very thin brass wire that might look better and be stronger after bending at 90 degrees, if you want a brass look instead of a steel look. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 07:14 pm:

Hobby and or craft stores may have the clip you are looking for. They use them on lanyards to hold keys and such.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 08:16 pm:

Piano repair shops will have all gauges of music wire by the roll.
If you tell them what it is for they will probably give you what you need.
The clip looks similar to a small curtain hook.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 08:16 pm:

My choke wire is made from a piano string I broke in my piano.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration