Commutator rod end:which way is up

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Commutator rod end:which way is up
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little South Paris, Maine on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 04:07 pm:

What is the correct orientation of the threaded end of the early timer rod?

Photo A

Photo B

One would logically surmise A is correct, since gravity would help keep it from falling out if the nut came off, but often my logic is not correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 05:07 pm:

Since no one else has answered, mine is like A, as well as several others I've seen, but I don't claim to know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 10:37 pm:

The rod on my 14 is like picture 1, mind you it has been on & off man times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 10:45 pm:

On my 1912 barn fresh touring the rod is like #1. But that said being 100+ years old who knows how many times its has been off or adjusted. I did find it interesting the rod is very close to the water pipe and will lay on the pipe at certain positions of the spark lever.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little South Paris, Maine on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 10:53 am:

Thanks for the responses,

Charlie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 11:55 am:

I have mine like A above too. Of note: The early timer levers have a bend in them, allowing the U joint to rest in a horizontal position like in A. If you put a later design on, it will be straight, and the orientation will change. I just checked the 1917 parts book I have, and they were still using this set up then. BTW, they call the bent lever, the lead rod lever. If you install the lead rod lever incorrectly, the u joint will go in sideways.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration