New rims

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: New rims
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 11:22 pm:

I am in search of some 30x3 1/2 demountable rims to replace a few i have deemed to be borderline sketchy!..All i can find are some from Snyders at $255.00 a pop and from American vintage rims at about $225.00 each. Does anyone here know anyone else who sells these, or am i just doomed to shell out the big bucks , and take a bagged lunch to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 11:30 pm:

Be patient and haunt the swap meets. You can find good ones for under $100, sometimes way under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 11:46 pm:

Thanks Steve!..And btw, what's up with rim #2?..Its like a variable timing of valve stem selection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 12:05 am:

That's a felloe still bolted in the rim. The spokes are long gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 12:21 am:

I see it now, the erratic spacing threw me off..plus i should have noticed the extra band on the inside. Still trying to learn all the nuances of the T. Another learning moment for a newbie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 12:43 am:

John,
Did you try Mark at the Model T Haven??

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 12:54 am:

Thanks Andre, I'll take a look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 04:54 am:

There's a guy here in Australia who is selling pr-eformed beading which glues to the thin edge of rusted rims to repair the bead. I wish I knew about this much earlier. I have scrapped many rims which were too thin to use. He sells the beading and the glue to hold it in place for around $100 for enough to do 5 rims, as far as my memory goes.

I have not yet tried the stuff, having weeded out all my un-serviceable rims, but if I find an otherwise useable Hayes fixed lug rim, I will give it a go.

May this be of interest.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 08:07 am:

Further to the rim savers mentioned above.
A 5 rim kit is $120
4 rim kit is $100
1 rim kit $20
Adhesive $16
Timber clamps $8
The contact is Dean Williams. Mobile phone number only, 0413 462 224

These details were published in the Victorian Model T Club magazine.

Hope this helps,

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 09:04 am:

A Google search of the forum may find information on how to repair sharp rims. A few years ago there was a post with drawings showing how to do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 01:40 pm:

Looks like you use your car like a truck Steve! I do the same and sometimes have the trunk lid strapped to the bumper! I like that 40mpg it gives me more for T parts!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 02:23 pm:

Yep, I took the gas hog Suburban to Chickasha this year and ended up buying less than last time. Should have used the car again.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration