Ruckstell Parts Early to Late

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Ruckstell Parts Early to Late
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 01:30 am:

What parts interchange between a small drum and large drum Ruckstell? Thanks PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 08:39 am:

Pat, I stand to be corrected but I think the only difference is the axle housing themselves. Otherwise Chaffins and Langs, who both offer most of the parts separately, would identify them by certain year, only.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 10:56 am:

The radius rods are different on a 26/27 rear end and the brake rods are shorter with different bends (but earlier brake rods can be shortened/threaded and bent to fit a 26/27 rear end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 11:41 am:

I'm no expert, but I have Ruckstells in all my T's, and the differences are minor. The shifter on the early housing is brass on the early ones, and the later ones are cast iron. Of course, as mentioned the '26-7 housing is different, but the guts are the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 11:43 am:

I'm no expert, but I have Ruckstells in all my T's, and the differences are minor. The shifter on the housing is brass on the early ones, and the later ones are cast iron. Of course, as mentioned the '26-7 housing is different, but the guts are the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 11:52 am:

The shifter that bolts to the front of the left housing is different on a 26-27, however, I am told that they will interchange. Supposedly, the 26-27 design provides a more positive shift without the worry of the Ruxtell popping out into neutral. It goes without saying (that's why I didn't in previous post) that the radius rods are different in 26-27, but they bolt to the housings and have no internal dealings with the operation of the Ruxtell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 02:30 pm:

Thanks for all the good info! One more thing, will the standard T ring gear fit the Ruckstell? I've seen adds for a Ruckstell 3.1 ring and pinion gearing. What gearing is best? PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 03:36 pm:

Pat, gearing is a matter of preference and should be considered along with engine power, and driving terrain. If almost all of your driving is on flat terrain, then even with a heavy T, 3.00 gearing should work fine with a Ruxtell. On the other hand, if your terrain is mostly hilly or if you plan on a lot of parades, then you might want to go with standard 3.63 gearing. Lastly, if you do a lot of serious mountain driving, you may want to drop in a 10 tooth pinion and go 4.00 to 1. I had a barn fresh California car from the San Francisco area that had a Ruxtell and 4.00 to 1 gears when found.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 12:24 am:

I ran into something interesting the other day when working on a ruckstell. The length of the bolts on one early shifter was different than another early shifter. One set of bolts that bolt the early shifter was a LOT longer. The bolts for the other early shifter were too short.
The base on one of the shifters was way thicker.

ruckstell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 10:49 am:

Three different shifter styles. Two different shift lock styles and a variation on the first. Two different brass thrust plates, one with more lubrication holes. Three style of housings, one with a relief cut for the enclosed spool, one not, and one for the 26-27 brake drum. Some parts have the mfr. Hall Scott embossed or stamped. I've noticed minor variations in the thickness of some internal parts. That's all I can think of.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration