Totally OT: Online maps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Totally OT: Online maps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 09:28 am:

Knowing there are some folks here who know a lot more about IT than I do, I'll see if anyone can explain something I've been wondering about. Google Maps, MapQuest, and all the others show roads and streets as pastel lines on a pastel background.

This sometimes makes them hard to read, especially when you print out a hard copy. It seems to me that a higher contrast format would be much better. Why do they all do this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 09:53 am:

Steve,

As an alternative to Google/Yahoo/MapQuest, have you ever checked into you county land surveyor office or Register of Deeds website? Most have gone online with their mapping resources and you can produce maps from them with different layers/options free of charge.

Kevin Whelihan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 02:06 pm:

Yes, some of the county and state maps are much better. They vary. KDOT maps of Kansas counties are great. On the other hand, I was very unimpressed by the OKDOT county maps.

But I still wonder what the reason is for the pastel on pastel approach.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 08:55 pm:

Steve, Try downloading Google Earth. Check all the boxes on the left about what you want to see, roads camping 3D. also you can scroll all the way down too what the road looks like if you where standing there.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration