Duct Tape Residue

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Duct Tape Residue
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 09:47 am:

Does anyone know an effective way to remove duct tape residue? I have a car I bought that has a tear in it and the previous owner put black duct tape over the tear. The tape is coming off and I can see the white stick um underneath. The top is original that I would like to keep if at all possible. This is the only problem with the top. The tear is about 6 or 7 inches but the tape is about 10 inches long. Not sure if the tear is repairable the proper way if the stick um is removed, but I would like to try anyway. So, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 09:53 am:

This works well.

3m_remover

Second choice would be "goo gone".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 10:46 am:

I had a bunch of aluminum parts taped together that had been out
in the weather for a long time, Attempting to remove the layers of
duct tape left the glue and the strands of fibre stuck firmly to the parts.
My usual methods of WD40, gasoline or camp gas had no effect on it,
so tried a squirt of Vandalism Remover and it came right off.
Not sure of the brand name or if it would make a mess of porous material,
but had previously used it sparingly on hard plastic and had no problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 10:48 am:

Solvo-plast (sp?) as used in hospitals for bandage residue removal is another option. It's potent, comes in a glass bottle.
There's also "Goof-off", and how about laquer thinner?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 12:03 pm:

Also, "Goo B Gone", also. Its supposedly citrus based.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 01:39 pm:

If the tape is still on the top, take a hair drier and heat it as you slowly remove it. It should be easier to remove and more residue will remain on the tape instead of the surface.

I've found the denatured alcohol usually works best to remove tape and price tag residue without hurting the surface.

Acetone works too but it's more aggressive and, depending on the material, can harm the surface.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 02:35 pm:

Lacquer thinner may work, but it also may damage some painted surfaces. Whatever you use, try it first in some hidden spot to be sure it won't hurt anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 02:40 pm:

VM&P Naptha or "Goof-Off" should work too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 06:52 pm:

Or eucalyptus oil.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 07:13 pm:

Sometimes good ol' Acetone will work without damaging surfaces, and evaporates quickly leaving no residue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 07:18 pm:

I have a variety of solvents in the shop. It's amazing how some cut some things and other cut other things the first ones wouldn't touch. If it's on something I'm afraid the solvent may damage, I carefully try it in a small un-noticeable spot. My 'collection' includes naphtha, mineral spirits, turpentine, denatured alcohol, acetone, lacquer thinner, enamel reducer, Zippo lighter fluid, the 3M stuff pictured above and probably some others I can't remember off the bat. I think someone already suggested it, but for the tape residue, I would probably start with the naphtha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 09:41 pm:

WD 40, about all it is good for other than putting on motor cycle handlebar grips. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 11:45 pm:

The tape residue looks on the hard side and has been on the top a long time. The tape is separating from the top. Is any of the mentioned products good on the white stick um that is on the hard side?
Thanks for all the responses.
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 11:57 pm:

I don't think it matters of the residue is hard/dry.

I like to use denatured alcohol for tape residue as previously mentioned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 12:18 am:

Lighter fluid is what we use in the optical trade to remove gum from eyeglass frames. I've als used wd40 and it works well. What is the residue on ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 09:06 am:

The residue is on the original top material of a 2 door coupe.

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 10:01 am:

Naptha, AKA lighter fluid. A very good and safe solvent. Weak, but powerful at the same time so that it will remove adhesive while not affecting the underlying surface in the least. Very quick evaporation time. So good is it, that I use it to restore books, documents and original product boxes that have been repaired in the distant past with unsightly tape. It softens, then removes the old hardened yellow tape and tape adhesive without affecting the delicate pages or graphics, then the repairs can be re-done properly such as on original product boxes with interesting graphics the repairs can be done from the inside. I have also used Naptha to remove duct tape adhesive from the original vinyl top of '26 my Fordor. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 10:08 am:

PS You may want to cover the residue with several layers of paper towels then pour on the Naptha until saturated so that it won't evaporate so fast that it has no time to soften the residue. Keep the paper towels wet until the residue is soft, then wipe off.

I would not use lacquer thinner or other hot solvents such as xylene, MEK or acetone, as they will attack the vinyl. You won't notice it right away but the vinyl will eventually start developing hairline cracks and then split. I learned the hard way when cleaning paint off of my vinyl athletic shoes. Jim Patrick

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration