OT big time OT hello Stan Howe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT big time OT hello Stan Howe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 01:02 pm:

Stan, We've had a lengthy, dry winter in these parts this year. During the winter I ran 2 full house humidifiers in my 1800 sq ft house. All winter I had 3 expensive collector acoustic guitars hanging in the room with the humidifiers. I still was not able to keep the humidity high enough to avoid having the spruce tops on all 3 from cracking. Of course the worst was on my Gibson J160e and it cracked open on both sides of the neck from the sound hole to the top of the upper bout. So now I'm looking for a good luthier capable of repairing the guitars in order to save some of their value. Seeing as how you seem to have quite a bit experience with guitars, I'm curious whether you know of a really good luthier capable of repairing the guitars? The Gibson is the worst and it may not be be repairable. The Martin and the Taylor are each cracked about the same from the bridge down to the bottom of the lower bout. Of the three the Taylor, though it sounded better than the other two is the least valuable and if I had to sacrifice it I would. Also this has to come out of pocket because my home owners has no intensions of covering for the damage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 03:35 pm:

years ago i always had greg nelson in duluth do my instrument repair. havnt seen him in 20 years, but i assume he is still there. nelson guitars, duluth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 05:55 pm:

If you don't already frequent this forum, try asking there. Almost certain you will get some good info re: local luthiers.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 11:28 pm:

Clayton and Chuck thanks for the leads. I'm kind of living in a
Luthier vacuum here by St Cloud. We have one guy that works on violins and cellos, one guy works on a lot of electronics and one guy who's suppose to be a top luthier who insists on being completely unresponsive. As you can imagine I've got a small fortune into these instruments and can't afford to take such a big hit on them. I had the humidifiers running and individual humidifiers in each guitar and I just couldn't get the humidity to stay where I needed it to be. Now I have to talk to a decent luthier to determine whether I want to repair them and peddle them or just list them and let em go.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration