1920 Leaf Springs - how to "bulk up"?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1920 Leaf Springs - how to "bulk up"?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard T. Rodgers on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 03:41 pm:

Folks,

How do I go about "bulking up" the front and rear springs on a 1920 Model T Depot Hack I've recently completed?

PROBLEM: Now that the new Dave Currier body is on the chassis, I don't think there's enough clearance to load the thing with 6 adults and then put it on a rough road.

HISTORY: When I got this car several years ago, both the front and rear spring assemblies had (only?) FOUR leafs. I've not fiddled with the suspension during my recent restoration work.

QUESTION: I think it now needs (front & rear) either (a) more leafs or (b) a replacement set of four "firmer" leafs. Do you agree?? If you do, any ideas where I can find what I need?

ASIDE: I'd appreciate some insight on this "leaf count" story. How many spring leafs were on this vehicle when it was built? Is the number of leafs "a factory option" [I doubt it...]? Why would a prior owner remove one or two of the original leafs?

Also and FWIW, a complete restoration photo album is at http://www.willowpondfarmstead.com/photo-albums/model-t-s/depot-hack-restoration /

Many thanks!

Rick Rodgers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 03:51 pm:

1918-21 the springs supplied from Ford were: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/S-T.htm#spring

"FRONT:7-leaf non-tapered. Main leaf drilled for oilers.
REAR: 8-leaf, non-tapered, with main leaf drilled for oilers."

From 1922 on the sedans had a 9 leaf spring in the rear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 04:36 pm:

Due to the shape of the rear spring, you cannot just add and subtract leaves. As the leaves progress upward, the arc enlarges. Probably easier to find a replacement spring with eight, or better yet 9 leaves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 04:43 pm:

Even one leaf missing can make a difference if weighted down. Find a better one, used or new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 05:26 pm:

Your front spring should be ok as is, if it has all it's leafs. I have Hasslers on the rear of my Huckster, with 5 adults and 2 kids in mine it didn't seem to ride too bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 05:27 pm:

Richard,
Years ago it was very common to remove leaves from the springs of stripdowns (like what you started with) and speedsters, to compensate for the reduced weight. Now that you've installed a body on it again, it needs to go back to the full set of springs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 07:01 pm:

My hack body was so heavy that the brake rods would hit on the running board brackets on a bumpy road with a full load. Eventually I had to weld them up again before they broke. That was with a full stack of Ford standard taper leaf springs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 10:07 pm:

Rick -- You'll need to replace your 4-leaf springs with original-type ones, as everyone else has said. The front will have 7 leaves, and I'd recommend the 9-leaf for the rear. Most of the cars came with an 8-leaf rear spring, but Sedans and bare Chassis (which were expected to get a Hack or Truck-type body) came with 9.

Travis M. Cook has a business called T Springs, and he advertises in the VF magazine and is listed on the list of Parts Suppliers on the MTFCA home page.

"T" Springs
P.O. Box 330322
West Hartford, CT 06133-0322
Phone 860-233-3557
Fax 860-523-0002

Or you could place an ad for some used ones in the "Classifieds" section here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 10:52 pm:

Used springs, especially front ones, should be easy to find. They're rather plentiful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 12:05 am:

I had same problem with my delivery. When loaded with six passengers, the rear tires would bottom out when going over a bump. I solved the problem by adding a second number two leaf at the bottom of the stack for a total of nine.1921

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard T. Rodgers on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 10:43 am:

Roger, Dale, Erich, Mark Gregush, Mike Black, Val, Mike Walker, Steve, and Mark Chaffin:

Many, many thanks to you and this bountiful MTFCA Forum for once again giving me ALL the information I need to proceed.

Rick Rodgers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 11:24 am:

I have a rear spring from the above mentioned "T-Springs" company and it is first rate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 11:25 am:

Even my 26 touring would bottom out when I first got it as I soon learned it was missing one of the larger leaves in the back spring. The new spring solved that and never have hit bottom since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 07:34 pm:

Springs look to be quite simple, but like most things they can be rather more complicated.

On my extended frame shooting brake I installed the correct tapered leaf spring used in 1917. It was a 9 leaf unit so should have been up to the job. Not so. It would bottom out with two passengers in the back, so it had to go. I consulted a spring maker and was given a free 2 hour talk on how springs work and what was needed in my case.

Bottom line was the tapered leaf spring was unlikely to handle the load of 6 passengers and the extended chassis overhang, even if re-set.
I have just fitted a notched end 9 leaf spring which certainly has more arch in it than the tapered leaf spring I removed. The car now sits higher, has a slight down hill lean to the front when not loaded, and with 3 passengers aboard, I cannot make it bottom out. I think I have my problem solved.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration