Is this exaust manifold curved?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Is this exaust manifold curved?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Gotesman on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 03:48 pm:

Is it fatal? Can I install it without last ring with green gasket?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 03:50 pm:

New ones I have on sale, Bob reg. 90.00 special 80.00 Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 04:08 pm:

http://mtfctulsa.com/Tech/manifold.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 04:10 pm:

Hello, Michael. If you use that manifold as is you will have one blown gasket after another. There is a method for straightening manifolds using heat which I've never tried. Maybe someone else will post here and explain how it's done.

I personally would buy a new manifold but perhaps shipping costs to you makes it prohibitive.

Good luck. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 04:11 pm:

Michael
Yes it is bent. This is the classic type bend you find in this used part caused by the exhaust pipe sagging downward at the rear. A longitudinal straight line should pass the same place at each of the four port holes and remember each port mounting surface should be on a flat plane.
If you have access to a heating torch and are careful with the setup you can straighten it yourself. Remember to keep all the ports flat too as you move the one on the right to make it align with the other three.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 04:14 pm:

Well look. Mark explained while I was typing. Good deal. Bob :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 04:41 pm:

What size wrench is that?

I sure would like to try that on a few I have. They are unusable now, so it can't hurt to try it out. I assume the saddle has a divot in it that the rounded over end of the bolt pivots in?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 05:04 pm:

One thing that the pictures don't show, make a cutout on the bottom. The manifold needs to be heated from all sides. It needs to be heated to the point that just the weight of the wrench moves it without any help, "HOT"! Then needs to be left in the rack to cool completely with the weight of the wrench left in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 05:05 pm:

I assume it will be best to cool as slowly as possible?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 05:12 pm:

The one did, I put a chunk of fiberglass insulation over it till it was cooled down. Don't know if it was needed but it seemed to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 05:47 pm:

One trick I found was to make four plugs 1/8" or so thick that just slip into the block. With the four plugs in the block a 1//2 " pipe is tack welded across with an 8" handle left out the ends

Then you can easily see where to heat the manifold slowly pulling it into straight without a straight edge or a tape. The manifold gets very hot and often you are removing and resetting the pipe jig testing the alignment with handles away from the heat.

Found its better to do it twice. The manifold seems to have memory after it cools.

Not sure if all sides should be heated some times one area is heated to spread two exhaust ports apart. Mine has been good for years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 06:22 pm:

No need to replace a perfectly good manifold if you have a torch and a little time and want to see some magic. You can check out the Long Beach Model T and the Tulsa club to see how to get it straight again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 06:50 pm:

Paul is right about needing to do it twice. I straightened three manifolds and they crept back a bit so I had to heat them again. It takes a lot of fuel to straighten one and I actually think it is easier to buy a new manifold if you just need one. That said, I have a bunch of warped manifolds on the shelf and plan to refill my tanks and straighten them all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 06:58 pm:

Most of the warping has nothing to do with them being heated by the exhaust gasses of the engine. I have several NOS manifold and every one of them is warped. This is common when castings like these are not allowed to season a little before they are machined.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 07:45 pm:

I did that to one of my manifolds a couple of years back. Worked great. It's amazing to watch the wrench move. Make the fixture out of scrap, use a rosebud if you can and bring it back. I let mine air cool. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 09:11 pm:

You need to either straighten it or install a new one. It's surprising how much additional power you will gain with the exhaust going straight out the port instead of being partially blocked. I know from experience from being one of the slowest cars on a tour to being one of the fastest.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 09:38 pm:

Here's the way to fix a warped manifold using old junk around the garage:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/342833.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Gotesman on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 01:20 am:

Thanks to all for full answers!

Robert Bergstadt, how can i buy it fast? Where do You live?

I will try to strighten it in a while)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Gotesman on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 01:25 am:

Gene, can You give me the link?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 02:04 am:

Michael,
The link to the Tulsa club is posted above and repeated here:
http://mtfctulsa.com/Tech/manifold.htm

I did not find anything at the Long Beach Model T website. I don't know if they have anything on manifold straightening on their site.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 07:06 am:

Michael, here's Robert's (aka Bob's) business:
http://www.bobsantiqueautoparts.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 03:31 pm:

$80 for a new one from Bob is the way to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 04:45 pm:

Need one buy a new one need six build the equipment. Shipping to Russia might mean build the equipment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 08:46 pm:

Call me in the a m 815-633-7244 Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 08:50 pm:

what would it cost to send one to Russia? Any issues with getting it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Gotesman on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 05:32 am:

I think that shipping will be + 70-80 USD.
Will try to fix. If no - I'll order immediately. Thanks, Bob

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration