Rear axel growl

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Rear axel growl
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Markham on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 05:10 pm:

Got me T out from winter storage this started last summer, when I round a curve the rear end makes a growl as soon as I straighten up it quits and runs as quite as can be. What could this be?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 05:17 pm:

It could be this:

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG79.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 09:10 pm:

It could be past time to tear the rear axle apart to figure out how much it will cost to fix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 09:57 pm:

John,

Our Model K (same rear end as T) developed a "growl" last season. I couldn't tell if it was coming from the differential or one of the axles. After finally deciding it was the pinion, I pumped it full of grease (before a complete tear down) and that cured the problem. I had greased and turned down cups, but apparently a dry spot or space developed and it would growl when I turned a corner or accelerated. When I let off the fuel pr coasted it would quit.

Hopefully we caught it in time, so far so good.

Good luck,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 10:55 pm:

Spider gears could be worn if they had jacked up the rear axle and run a belt from the rear wheel to power farm equipment in a past life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 10:59 pm:

"I pumped it full of grease"

How much grease does it take to fill a "Model K (same rear end as T)" rear end?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 07:56 am:

" Got my T out of winter storage...the rear end makes a growl ... then quits"

Did you look under to see if the dog climbed up under and was napping? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 10:51 am:

First thing that comes to mind is either the differential or spider gears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 11:08 am:

In order of likelihood, probable causes are:

1 Thrust washer failure;
2 Thrust washer failure;
3 Ring and/or pinion gear damage (due to #1 & #2);
4 Differential gears & spider gears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 11:13 am:

Dennis I'm nominating you for the in-house MTFCA comedian!! I wish I could come up with those quips!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 11:37 am:

Grease up the wheel bearings, fill the differential with gear oil and check again. Next thing is to jack up both wheels and try to pull and push the wheels in and out of the axle tube. If you get any noticeable play, it's time to pull down the rear end for rebuild. Worn thrust washers will cause the spacing between ring and pinion gear to vary which will cause severe wear on the gears and possible brake failure.

If there is little endplay in the axles, try turning one wheel. The wheel on the other side will turn in the opposite direction. If it feels rough and noisy, your problem is in the differential gears.

You can also pull off each wheel and check the brake shoes to see if they are making the noise.

You could have a serious problem, or not serious. It might be of help if you can get an experienced Model T'er in your locality to listen to it and offer advice.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Markham on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 02:01 pm:

I just put it up on jack stands and pushed and pulled on the wheels I have about from 1/8 to 1/4 inch play, should they be no play or is some normal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 02:30 pm:

Should be little to no side play. Could be sloppy differential gears or one thrust washer has disintegrated. A common problem with the Babbitt style thrust washers. Do you experience growl when turning either direction?
Either way, you need to pull the RE and do some repair or replacement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Markham on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 02:33 pm:

Yes it growls rounding left or right curves or when you make hard turns into driveway

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 03:03 pm:

The growls and the end play leave you no choice. You have to look inside. The link I posted above gets you started.

When folks ignore the noise and keep driving, this happens:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 04:22 pm:

John, I would remove the axle and find out what is making that noise. If any part of the axle fails you will loose your transmission brake.

Rob, do you have pictures of your model K axle apart? I would really like to see what it looks like.

Thanks,
Stephen

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration