Simmons Super Power Carb Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Simmons Super Power Carb Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 07:41 pm:

I have two Simmons Super Power Carburetors that both have about a 1/16th inch hole straight down in the flange that bolts to the Intake Manifold.

Is that hole supposed to be there for some reason?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 07:46 pm:

James,

The one I have has a coiled loop of wire in the inlet that is attached with a screw through the hole you mentioned. Don't know the purpose- preheat coil?? Maybe Stan with chime in with more info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 08:00 pm:

Yes, it is a preheat coil that was supposed to vaporize the fuel, giving better mileage and performance. The exact same carburetor with a different nameplate was the Western Auto version called the Wizard carburetor. I have one of both but removed and plugged the preheater hole. I just have a mental problem with having electrical current that close to raw gasoline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 09:00 pm:

Great carburetor. Plug the hole. The electrical part is not needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 09:02 pm:

Hole is easily tapped for a #10 x24, 3/8" machine screw with a lockwasher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 10:31 pm:

Thanks for the info.

The patent I found does not show that coil, but another patent probably shows it.

Seems like I did find that patent a few years ago and it was by the same guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 02:42 pm:

Simmons, also made a high compression head. A similar head was available under the Haibe and Giant names. I think they offered an intake manifold, too, but not sure. I have a Simmons head on my 26 Fordor sedan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 03:19 pm:

Check to see that your carb has a "flapper", just behind the choke control, entering the carb. they are often missing--you need this. Good running straight through, carb. paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 03:35 pm:

Paul, they both have that flapper and it is free.

What I found more interesting is that the 1926 Vaporizer carb also has that flapper and the Simons carb was patented in 1926.

The 1926 Vaporizer carb that I just rebuilt was totally carboned up and the flapper would not move at all.

What I suspect is the flapper not moving would make the mixture rather lean and cause a backfire when trying to start the engine and add more carbon to make matters worse.

That Vaporizer also had a 1/4th inch crack along that tube at the top that is attached by the nut which would have admitted air.

The needle valve was also worn and caused the bowl to over fill and run over.

The choke spring was also broken.

I found one other problem that I can't remember now.

I'm wondering if those Vaporizer carbs really run well when properly rebuilt and working.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Cosner on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 03:54 pm:

Here is a picture of a Simmons Carburetor bowl with a decal I bought a while ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 04:00 pm:

Vaporizers run great when they are put together right. I think people may think their car is faster with an NH or Kinston L4 because those carbs have the intake facing the passenger compartment, yielding more engine noise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 08:48 pm:

Royce, an interesting possibility!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 10:45 pm:

The little spring in the Simmons serves two purposes. It is a pre-heater for cold weather starting and the fuel mixture passing through the spring helped to vaporize the heavy fuel being sold in the mid to late 1920's. Good fuel at that time was 55 octane and was up to half kerosene. It might not do much for better running today but it certainly would have helped then. I would not remove the spring even tho I might not hook it up to electrical power.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 07:15 pm:

Stan, someone already removed them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 07:41 pm:

If you feel it is something you just can't live without,I have several I have removed and threw in my small carb parts box.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration