Water pump grease in block

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Water pump grease in block
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 09:38 pm:

Is there any sure cure as to getting water pump grease from the radiator and block without having them boiled?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 09:47 pm:

I had that problem with my '12 when I first got it. I had to pull the head and use a coat hangar to loosen up all the water pump grease mixed with oatmeal and stop leak packed into the water passages. Flushed out the muck with MEK and then rinsed with water.

The radiator doesn't cool very well with all the tubes coated with grease on the inside, along with all the breakfast and stop leak. A new radiator and a clean block combined with removing the water pump that caused the problem is the final solution.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 10:52 pm:

If there's not too much grease in there you MAY be able to wash it out w/dishwasher detergent. With an empty cooling system put in about 1/4 cup of liquid DW detergent, fill w/water, run until it's good and hot and been circulating for a while, shut down, dump the water out and repeat as necessary until clean.
We used to do this on diesel cooling systems that had oil cooler leaks to get the lube oil out of the cooling system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 11:11 pm:

Mean Green degreaser might be an option too. It sure works well in the washing machine to degrease my work clothes. Just a thought. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 12:13 am:

I really can't see why a mineral based solvent wouldn't work. Fill the system, let it soak then drain & repeat. Flush with hot water if possible. I don't think water based solvents are the answer. I'd plug the overflow line when flushing and you might need to replace the rubber sections of the coolant hoses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 12:23 am:

Then once you have everything cleaned, put the water pump on a car that was designed to need one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 09:31 pm:

This works on the block and also the radiator. I would remove the radiator to do this. Take a can of crystal draino and mix it with enough hot water to fill the block or the radiator. Keep it as strong as possible. Use block off plates, hoses or ??? to get the water to stay inside and be full. Be careful with the draino. It is not extremely dangerous but use goggles and gloves to keep it off your skin or eyes. It will burn you if you get it on you. The hot water makes the caustic solution work better. Let it set overnight. The Draino Ad say "will not hurt your pipes" I have done this several times with good results. Remember that if there is a potential leak in the radiator that the grease or rust is all that is keeping it from leaking, the cleanup you are doing may make it show up. The Draino will remove all the grease, oil, or anything organic or carbon based. It will not remove rust, lime, scale, ect. To remove that type of problem, my second part of the cleanup is to get a bottle of "CLR" (calcium,lime,rust) remover at Wal Mart. After cleaning and flushing the Draino out of the block or radiator, fill it with a solution of the CLR and water. a 50% solution is perfect, but if you do not want to buy that much CLR a weaker solution will still work but takes longer. It will remove the rust and lime scale that is sometimes in the old radiators. It will also remove any of the "green rust" corrosion on the outside of the radiator. After the CLR treatment flush the radiator and block and you should be good to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 10:01 pm:

Be careful using caustic around your body panels, it also rips paint off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 10:48 am:

If you get caustic on your skin, the best thing to wash it off with is beer. It will neutralize the caustic.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration