Complete tool kit for a 1920

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Complete tool kit for a 1920
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Kuhn on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 10:23 am:

Here is my completed tool kit for my 1920 Roadster.A personal thank you to Mark Wetherbee for supplying a second tire spoon and the ever elusive T 1902 screwdriver to correctly complete this kit!Now on to sorting out the correct tire pump for a 1920.Mine is double script with a steel barrel and T1434 on the bottom.Seems a single brass barrel Bridgeport Brass Co with Ford script on the bottom is the one I would like to locate,see how that turns out.Happy Easter everyone!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 10:26 am:

Nice tool roll!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 10:43 am:

The screwdriver handle should be painted black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Kuhn on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 05:31 pm:

Thanks guys,I have heard from others that some screwdrivers were unpainted and some black painted.This one was a nice original one and could not see any trace or staining where it may have been painted black.Any input from others what they have or seen would be great information for all to compare.I have been researching the tire pumps and soon post what I have found so far,its a bit vague on those things!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 07:50 pm:

I've had 2 painted and 1 that looked just like the one shown. Now here's an question: I've never seen the lower wrench shown in the picture. I picked these up at a Penn. flea market Saturday. Common or rare? Measures 7/16:\" X 1/2".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 07:52 pm:

Looks more recent than T era.?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little South Paris, Maine on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 08:12 pm:

FROM A PRIOR THREAD ON TOOLS:

One thing about the Ford markings that is known is that the USA mark was added during the late Model A era. As I stated in a prior thread on tools (Tool Roll) :

"My reference re: the USA being added to the Ford tools is a neat booklet by David Adair entitled "A Guide to Tools For the Model A", (second edition). It came out in 2005. I wish there was something like it for T's--but I don't think that there are the primary reference sources to allow anyone to compile one.

His booklet does state that the USA was added to the small wrenches and the adjustable wrench on the same November 25, 1931 date. He also states that in 1941 the "heft" of these wrenches was decreased and they were used through the late 1940s."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 12:22 pm:

Well Tom, that screwdriver sure looks better than it did...

Charlie B - that is a late A wrench and seems to be fairly common - the top one is a #1917 T wrench (that is a number not a year) and is for the bands - VERY common.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 09:49 am:

What kind of finish did you put on your wrenches? I like the look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Kuhn on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 05:35 pm:

Hi Wayne,I used Caswell Plating,s Black Oxide metal blackening kit.Very easy to use and great results.I degreased the part,glass beaded it and then immersed in the solution you mix up.Makes 2 gallons of solution,when done you can put back in plastic containers for future use and when it gets weak from lots of use,add new solution to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 07:51 pm:

I don't believe Ford ever painted the tools. I found an original tool roll a few years back that still had most of the tools in it, and none were painted. It was probably late teens. BTW, there are three styles of 1917 band wrenches, early, middle '14 up, and late.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 12:32 am:

Yes, the #1917 band wrench is very common, probably most common. Second most common is probably the #2335 head bolt & spark plug wrench, and third would be the #1349 hub wrench. Not only do these tools vary by year, as Larry says, but there are also differences according to which supplier made them.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration