When installing the fourth main(ball cap) does the hole go up?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: When installing the fourth main(ball cap) does the hole go up?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark McWethy on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 06:49 pm:

Hi guys,
Happy Easter to all. Hope this finds you and your families well. I am putting my transmission back together. I have been watching as I took things apart. When I removed the 4th main(ball cap) I noticed that the hole in the babbit was pointing up. Is this correct?
Thanks for all of your help in advance,
Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 07:16 pm:

Mark, I always install it with the hole up to allow oil into the bearing.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark McWethy on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 09:12 pm:

As always I really look forward to your help. I thought as much but just because that's the way you take something apart doesn't make it right. I am still learning and can make enough mistakes on my own. My granddad always said the dumbest question is the one never asked. Thanks so very much for your help.
Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 02:16 pm:

Mark. While you have the 4th bearing off, this would be a good time to send it to be re-babbited along with the transmission drive plate. The drive plate shaft fits into the babbited bearing and the bearing helps to support the weight of the transmission and the reason you send both is so the machinist can custom machine the babbit to fit your drive plate shaft. Not only will it help to stabilize the transmission, it will help to prevent oil from leaking through the 4th bearing. I recommend George King III in Connecticutt. www.enginerestoration.com. Jim Patrick

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration