Photo - 1924 Mercury Speedster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Photo - 1924 Mercury Speedster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Sorenson, Hector, Minnesota on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 09:55 am:

I found this 1991 Motorcraft calendar photo of the 1924 Mercury Speedster. Pretty neat!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 10:10 am:

Frank,

Do you think any of those players made enough to own one of those ?

Simpler times ....

Thanks for posting !

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 11:28 am:

You could buy a brand new Ford for $260 then. A turnkey mercury conversion was over $1000. Shameless plug time. I have all the makings of one for sale. All apart, has rebuilt fronty engine, beautiful set of buffalo snap ring wire wheels, etc, etc. $25 k firm. Rare opportunity to have one of the 50 remaining originals, and build it to suit. Tmorsher@icloud.com No tire kickers or photo collectors please

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 11:29 am:

Thanks for the great photo lance. I have not seen that one before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Penserini on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 12:27 pm:

Here is a vid of my Mercury's first firup 2 weeks ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5J6GeFyRNU

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sven Jakobsson on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 02:46 pm:

A friend of mine here in Sweden bought a similar speedster early this year. It was parked 1985 but is now running again.
Best regards, Sven in SwedenMercury body on T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 03:08 pm:

Looks like Mike Bender's Mercury Speedster, Mike's is right hand drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 06:01 pm:

Many have seen some pictures of this before,
I added some more detailed pictures,
still hoping to identify it

side viewside viewside viewfront cowlseat areadash metal re enforcing bracket ,tongue and grove wood firewall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 06:15 pm:

Only 50 originals left? I think I have seen five of them up close, most of those years ago. Vic Sala and his brother Clem each had one.
I will never be able to afford one of those. Guess I will just have to be satisfied with my "not-a-Mercury"!
Thanks all for the pictures!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 07:15 pm:

I have one in the shop now. Soon to be three more. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 07:23 pm:

There's a guy near Seattle that has a barn full of them. I don't remember how many he has, but a bunch. I sold him my Gallivan dohc roadster a couple of years ago.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 07:32 pm:

Jarvis Erickson is the leading authority on Mercury Speedsters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 07:33 pm:

While we're on the subject, does anyone know who was making the aluminum parts some time ago (years)? This would be step plates, spare mount, windshield base and stanchions, vent doors and the radiator shell mounts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 07:53 pm:

Did Jarvis ever finish his book?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 08:35 pm:

Any one else spot the error in the painting?

The car has two brake rods and no radius rod. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 09:11 pm:

re/ the car in the baseball painting. It appears they used Bill Harrah's old car as the model . great looking car! i don't know where it is at now, but Jarvis would.

Re/ Mike Penserini's video. looking good Mike ! Mike is one of several guys lucky enough to own more than one merc/ford.

Great to see the one surface in Sweden Sven ! Mike Bender has a sweet ride, too, and we know that one runs like a scalded cat.

And yes, Jarvis is the go-to guy for anything Mercury related. He is the best . My guesstimate is from his registry of known mercury/fords. Last i looked he had about 50 different cars identified. Not all of these have survived with their serial numbers, as that was on the firewall. Similar to the 1912 model T delivery truck, there are always several wanna-bes, or maybes involved. I really love all the early aftermarket speedster bodies, such as Shawn's pictured above. I would suggest Larry Sigworths CD as being your best chance to identify it. The other way is to look at every Ford Owner, Popular Science, Popular Mechanics etc etc periodical from the late teens into the twentys that you can get your hands on. Larry has done that already, so i would go that route. Always neat to know where your body came from.

Finally, a barn full of mercs? i doubt it, but one can always dream. The mercs have always been considered the Rolls Royce of speedster bodies, and for good reason. They were just built so much better than anything thing else on the market back then. bar none ! Gosh, i think i have talked myself out of selling mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 10:40 pm:

The barn full of Mercurys could be Jarvis. He called me after I got mine and told me there were now 71 known bodies. Mine is 1249.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 11:25 pm:

Now wait a minute, "I sold him my Gallivan dohc roadster a couple of years ago"!

I do not want to hijack this thread, so brass car guy, could you please start a new thread and give some details on your Gallivan roadster. This is sounds really cool

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 11:34 pm:

Beautiful, Andy ! My list is about 10 years old, so 71 is very believable , especially with this new internet thingie. I could be wrong on this, but thought some archival info showed 2500 originally built. The company sold a bare body, or complete turnkey car, or anything in between.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 12:08 am:

Since you asked, I purchased the late Ron Kiplings model T race car collection a couple of years back.

It included the dohc Gallivant 1915 modelt T roadster, the Riverside Special dohc Fronty original unrestored mounted on a 1925 T truck with a rocker arm Fronty motor, a couple of sohc T Fronty race cars plus several other T's.

Sorry to say Ron did not have a Mercury in his collection, or I would have owned it as well, and it was J Erickson that I sold the Gallivan to.

As a side bar my nephew drove the Gallivan(dohc) both Fronty (sohc's) and a rocker Fronty all on the same day!! Bet that's not been done in the last 50 years.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 12:16 am:

brasscarguy,

Wow, your second paragraph above describes Model T heaven for me. Did you get a video or audio recording of all those racy T engines running at one time?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart -Calif. on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 12:16 am:

I bought my first Model T Speedster in 1955. Man down in the dips she started rocken and the piston valves started knocken..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 10:04 am:

Here's an ornament often used on Mercury speedsters. Bob

mercury ornament

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 11:34 pm:

That's a nice one to use, Bob, unless you have this one. Water meter

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration