Play in steering

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Play in steering
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 01:16 pm:

There is a little 'play' in the steering of my 24 Roaster the Easter bunny left for me - at least compared to my 16. I can turn the steering wheel back and forth about an 1/8th of a turn or so before it begins to engage and the steering just feels a little loose to me. Maybe normal and just a difference between the two cars? However, I thought I'd check in with you guys to see if there was something I should check out.

Thanks!

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 01:25 pm:

Michael,

Even if you didn't feel excessive play, you should still check out the entire car, (steering especially), if for no other reason than, it's new to you and it's 90 years old. Who knows what has been done to it, or needs to be done.

Check every point of the steering for play and wear. Be sure the pitman arm is tight on the steering shaft. If it's loose, don't just tighten the nut. Remove the pitman arm and inspect for wear in the keyways and the key. Also, look for cracks in the steering shaft, near the corners of the keyway.

When you rotate the wheel, and it moves freely, without causing the wheels to steer, does the steering shaft also turn? Or, does the shaft also stay still, suggesting the wear is in the steering column/gear box?

Check it all out...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 01:37 pm:

As Jerry said this could be a life safety issue.. yours! don't take anyone's word for it see for yourself besides it will give you peace of mind when your family rides with you... oops I guess the Safety Petty Officer from a previous life came out to say be safe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 01:38 pm:

Thanks Jerry,

I'll check out each point along the way and see what I come up with. It's so much fun to drive though!

I'll also let you know about the steering shaft moving or staying still.

Kind regards ,

Michael

Michael b

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 07:35 am:

Michael..after pretty much rebuilding my entire steering system on the '20 runabout, I still had a bit of play in the wheel, it's in the column, don't know the exact nomenclature but it's the part that is basically held in by the two rivets...it moves up and down depending on which way you turn the wheel, once it reaches its limit, everythings nice and tight. Doesn't cause any problems, but I'd like it a little tighter. I shimmed it some, and it helped, need to find the right shim. Check yours, you may have the same issue. And frankly, my '15 is too tight. Absolutely zero play, gotta stay aware of the wheel at all times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 10:20 am:

I think loose steering is usually a combination of several little things rather than one big thing. If you have a little looseness at each end of the tie rod, and the pitman arm, and the bracket bushings, and the gears, it adds up to a lot of play. I don't remember the "official" permissible steering wheel play, but if you can get it down to a half inch I'd say that's good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 12:59 pm:

Steve - I have a figure of 2 inches in my head from something I've read in the past about MTFCA safety inspections and allowable steering wheel "play". I distinctly remember this, because all three of my Model "T's are within this 2" limit, altho' one of them,....just barely! I believe you're "right on" with your comment about just a little bit of "play" here and there all adds up. And frankly, whatever the cause, I think 2 inches is a bit much, even if "allowable",.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 02:53 pm:

The excess steering play in Barney turned out to be a crack in the steering column where the spark & throttle "ratchets" bracket rivets on. I could weld it, but I found a nicely patina'd replacement.
So, look under there while wiggling the wheel, and see if that isn't a problem!.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 08:09 pm:

Update...

what I have found so far is that there is a good bit of play in the spider as it attaches to the threaded gear post. Having taken the gear box apart, the little gears seem to be 'ok'. However, the gear post that goes into the spider wiggles around a good bit. Two look old an one looks newer.

I wonder if it's the spider or the gear post that's loose?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 08:21 pm:

LOL...should read like this:

Update...

what I have found so far is that there is a good bit of play in the spider as it attaches to the threaded gear post. Having taken the gear box apart, the little gears seem to be 'ok'. However, the gear post that goes into the spider wiggles around a good bit.

I wonder if it's the spider or the gear post that's loose?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration