Oil Drain plug repair?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Oil Drain plug repair?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 03:04 pm:

I have a stripped oil drain plug on my stock 1914 touring I just acquired. I want to repair or replace it (don't know yet if plug stripped, hole stripped, or both?). The plug does fit on about a 1/2 inch pipe extending out of the hogshead, where on my '17 it fits flush with the hogshead.
Snyder's has Cadmium plug for 1909-1938, magnet drain plug for 1909-1931, and a repair kit drain plug for 1915-1927. Other vendors have differing years for the apparently same parts (why are different plugs for overlapping years if not the same diameter/thread?).
Except for 1909-1911, aren't all the drain plug diameters/threads the same? Thank you for any help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Skille on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 03:48 pm:

All the thread diameters/and threads are the same from 1909-1927. The early ones were slotted and the later ones were hex for a wrench.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 04:23 pm:

Thank you Don. Helps greatly and I've ordered the parts.
Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 10:43 am:

I think that thread is 3/4-24? The change from slotted to hex occured in early '13.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration