What are the chances , ? someone may have a car or parts from 1 of these

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: What are the chances , ? someone may have a car or parts from 1 of these
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 04:12 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkkjpDmf7zw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 06:21 pm:

And no traffic lights !

Wonder how many are there now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 07:20 pm:

I can't figure out the driving lanes. I think it's about the same today!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 07:44 pm:

I think that was filmed on Wilshire Blvd. here in L.A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 08:13 pm:

Obviously mid thirties. Amazing how fast Model T's disappeared from the streets. Anybody know what the average life of a car was in the 20s and 30s? I know that when I was buying flathead Fords in the mid to late 50s those that hadn't been rebuilt were worn out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Stitt-Southern Oregon on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 08:27 pm:

This is the long version with music. Wilshire yes. I think the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce posted this on YouTube a few years back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JPvKaZc2GI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 08:28 pm:

Here was Ford's statement on how long the competitors autos would last!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 08:34 pm:

What is the car at 2:32 point ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 09:11 pm:

The newest car I saw was a 1936 Ford. So I think that picture was taken mid 1930's. The Model T's were still running on the street about 1950. You didn't see many of them but the Model A's were seen every day until the 1970's.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 10:24 pm:

I believe that film was made for "background" footage for driving scenes in motion pictures.

When a motion picture required a scene in which the actors were riding in a car, it sometimes became impractical to film while the actor actually rode in the vehicle.

The studio would sometimes construct a "Filming Buck" that consisted of a car body minus the cowl and windshield forward.

A film such as the one seen in the YouTube link would be projected behind the fake car and the actor would "drive" it.

Many of these films survive today and are a great reference to what Los Angeles and other cities looked like 30, 40, 60 years ago or more.

U.C.L.A. Film Archives have, if I recall, preserved these films.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 10:46 pm:

These appear to be backdrop films for process shots where the actors sit in a car on the studio set and the traffic is projected behind them. The longer version has two views of the same thing. In the first, where you would be looking at the actors from the front, through the windshield, you are traveling east (looking west) on Wilshire Boulevard in Beverly Hills. Watching closely, you can pick out Thompson Motors (the "other" Packard dealer) at 9130 Wilshire, then the ACSC office, a Union Oil station, a Gilmore station a grocery store (at La Peer Drive?) and a Signal station. The intersection where Wilshire curves is at Robertson Boulevard. The second piece of footage shows the same places looking south. This would be projected behind the actor sitting in the passenger seat as seen from in front of the driver. Things flash by mighty fast, but you catch glimpses of the cars in the Thompson showroom, the grocery store, and the various filling stations. You do get a good look at the Signal station. The Yellowstone shots tacked on at the end? I have no idea why those are included.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 10:48 pm:

By the way, yes there are traffic lights. Look again at the intersection by the grocery store and at Robertson. There are signals at both corners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 10:54 pm:

And while I'm at it, that music is all wrong for the mid-thirties. During that period styles in popular music changed tremendously in just a few years, and that sounds more like the early forties.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 01:00 am:

Probably very few of the cars in the movie still exist. The WW2 scrap drives would have taken many of them. The Rolls Royce would likely have the best chance of all of them to have been saved, but we'll never know.....
Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 10:54 am:

Sounds like it is filmed from a model T with an overdrive and maybe a Ruckstell too.
He keeps shifting it back and forth.
If you turn up your sound you can hear the shifting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 12:18 pm:

Silent film with sound effects added.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 07:28 pm:

It does not sound like a Model T. Maybe a Model A with a bad muffler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 08:50 pm:

I heard that "shifting" too and it didn't seem to make any sense to me! Perfectly level boulevard and no significant change in vehicle speed,.....???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 06:34 am:

Interesting driving around 1:26 in the movie. The truck causes the car to swerve in the lane and is kind'a close turning in front of some other cars.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration