First Outing of the Season — and The Smell of Old Gasoline Burning

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: First Outing of the Season — and The Smell of Old Gasoline Burning
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 10:01 pm:

Took the old Flivver (and the new knee) out for the first excursion of the season and even before leaving the driveway, I thought something electrical was on fire. That was not the case; just the strong, foul odor of months-old, alcohol-infused gasoline burning.

Oddly enough, the engine had started up easily and once on the road, delivered nice, smooth power in spite of the gasohol. Still, I sure do wish it were possible to find some straight, unadulterated gasoline, even if only once a year for winter storage. Unfortunately it doesn't look like anybody in my neighborhood still carries the good stuff. Maybe if I find a Sunoco?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 12:29 am:

Bob, there are a few stations around here that are real gas. I found them by going to: www.puregas.com . I would look at the local airport for real gas, it should not have any alcohol in it due to icing in the carb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 12:45 am:

For New York - this is a good link:

http://pure-gas.org/?stateprov=NY

Also - drain your gas tank in the fall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 11:44 am:

Bob
Glad to see your cabin fever is gown and you're up and about. Still take it easy, have fun
you deserve it .

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 11:56 am:

Bob come on down to good ol Fla. Since the gov. signed a bill to make it easier to sell the stuff several of the chains around here are selling the "good" stuff just be ready to sit in line for a few minutes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 12:58 pm:

Thanks for the links, Kevin and Erik. I followed them and discovered that on Long Island, there are NO gas stations that carry unadulerated gasoline. Fortunately, the Star*Tron gasoline additive seems to have worked and my engine pulls like it doesn't know the difference. But oh!—The foul odor is enough to cross your eyes! Well, we'll burn that garbage off in short order and it'll be the only time to be grateful for the Flivver's mediocre gas mileage.

Bob, It felt really good to get the car out for the first time this season and I'm relieved the new knee works well enough to dance the Triple-Pedal-Stomp.

G.R., After the miserably long winter we had (and it snowed as recently as two weeks ago), it would be wonderful to sample a little Florida weather. But hey, things have finally warmed up here on the island and we're presently in the 60-something degree range. Time to put the funny hats and false mustaches on a few bystanders and start having some fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 07:28 pm:

Had the 1927 out and put a few more easy miles on the rebuild. Has a little over a hundred on it now. Running like a brand new top.
Came home and decided to start the 1915 (Hand crank only). SHEEEET! It sounded so good I took IT out for a ride up the hill across the street for maybe another 6 or 8 miles!

Can't wait for good weather!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 07:44 pm:

You guys rock. I have been out a bunch so far in 2014, but it has been over a week now and I have some prep work to do to get ready for this Saturday. Coco is going to be in a wedding so we need show quality clean and shine. Plus, a few tightening up things hear and there in the front end. Good going over with the grease too. Not a bad way to spend my birthday tomorrow. Bob, keep that knee well greased and so glad you got out and put a few miles on it.

Maybe you could spray some "fabreeze" into the intake to combat the smell of that foul fuel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 08:52 pm:

Happy birthday Erich! Thanks for all the help you give to folks on this forum...

Hope you have a joy filled day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 08:56 pm:

Be glad you don't play with steam cars! I hope to get the Stanley out in the next couple of days. E10 smells a whole lot better than kerosene! I've had my T and my '12 Buick out, both with the gas that was sitting in them all winter. No problems, and no nasty smells.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration