Model t roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Model t roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike dixon on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 10:38 pm:

hey all, im changing oil in my 24 model t roadster, how many quarts do i need to put in? Ive just gotten this car, I think its my favorite now, very much fun to drive

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 11:00 pm:

Four.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 11:04 pm:

When it starts to drip out of the top petcock, stop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 12:32 am:

Three and a half qts is just about right. Most guys use 30wt or 10-30wt, Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 02:12 am:

Normally four, I fill mine like Steve says til it comes out the top petcock. My car actually takes 4.5 before dripping . I try to change it in the evening and put a pan to catch the drippings. Sometimes I out smart myself, so I stick a post-it on the dash to remind me to close it before starting.
George n L.A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 06:53 am:

Mine takes about 4.5. I run 1 quart MMO and 3.5 of Rotella T 10w30. NOT trying to start another oil thread. Then I turn it over by hand a few times to help mix everything up really well. I put the half quart or so left in the big 4 quart bottle under the top petcock and let it let it run out until it quits dripping. I then use that leftover to occasionally top off the engine every now and then or fill up the myriad of brass oilers all over the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 07:18 am:

Now I'll stir the pot a little!!... Don't forget to add the ZDDP. Even Rotella doesn't have enough zinc and phosphorus for the tappets, SM oils are worse, and they are now being replaced with SN rating, which is worse yet. JMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 07:31 am:

ZDDP is an additive first used in motor oils in the 1950's to combat rapid camshaft and lifter wear in the new overhead valve V8 engines that were reaching higher horsepower levels. The stiff valve springs in those Eisenhauer era engines caused something that had never been a problem prior to 1955.

No Model T ever had ZDDP prior to 1955. No ZDDP is needed in any Model T today except perhaps in the case of a speedster that has valve pressures exceeding 100 pounds on the seat (valve closed) or 300 pounds open valve pressure.

It won't hurt anything of course. It's akin to using designer air in your Model T's tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 07:46 am:

Designer air . . . you mean to tell me not EVERYone runs nitrogen in their T's tubes? Good grief, there goes the neighborhood. Next you'll tell me some of these people just run straight pump gas with nothing to help lube their valves.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration