Headlight socket sleeve?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Headlight socket sleeve?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Hacker, OH on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 11:07 pm:

Guys,
I am rebuilding a pair of 24 headlights that were fairly well butchered over the years. I have stripped them down and looking to buy repo parts. I found drawings by Martin Vowell in previous threads, great tool. However my buckets are missing the "sleeve" ? that surrounds the sockets. What are they called? Can I get replacements?

Regards, Ted Hacker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 07:34 am:

Any of the T part vendors sell those Ted.

I like this one: http://www.modeltford.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 08:01 am:

Really? I haven't noticed that piece of tubing in the catalogs?
Myself, I've been lucky to find better headlamp buckets with the sleeves when needed, they're not rare. If you really want to repair this specific set of headlamps, then the sleeves could be fabricated out of steel pipe or sheet metal and welded in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 10:20 am:

http://www.modeltford.com/item/6574X.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 10:27 am:

Ted, i looked for some old beat up headlight buckets and removed the sleeve, i think they were soldered on so it was not hat to remove or install.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 10:29 am:

You are better off finding replacement headlights. Keep in mind cars made before 1920 have the adjusting screw on top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 10:34 am:

Royce, look again at Ted's picture. It's the sleeve that's welded to the headlight bucket he needs, not the headlight socket that goes inside the missing sleeve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 10:36 am:

ok, they were likely soldered in place as Rick writes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 12:01 pm:

I'm sure you could fabricate one out of a piece of conduit or copper pipe and solder it place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 12:06 pm:

The sleeve for the headlamp socket is just pressed in place. Remove them with a bushing driver. I would contact Langs or Model T Heaven as parts headlamps would be in their junk pile and getting a sleeve would be just for the asking, labor and shipping IMO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Hacker, OH on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 12:18 pm:

Guys,

Thanks a bunch. Sounds like "sleeve" is the correct term. I will contact Langs and see if there are replacements.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Hacker, OH on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 09:21 pm:

Called a couple of places, repops not available. However as mentioned used buckets are available.

Thanks again,

Ted

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 09:28 pm:

I tapped one out using a long socket Don't remember exactly ,but it was 1/2 or 9/16. I have some junk buckets and could find you a couple if you don't locate them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 03:07 am:

Mine have no sleeve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 07:19 am:

I misunderstood the question and photo. I realize that they make a replacement sleeve, I thought he was missing the part on the headlight bucket where the sleeve slides in. I thought perhaps someone ground the back of the bucket flush and he needed to manufacture the small containment ring to hold the sleeve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 08:25 am:

Dennis, you didn't miss understand, that's what he needs. Look at his picture of the drawing again and Dan Treace's picture. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 09:42 am:

Headlight Bulb fits into Bulb Socket.

Bulb Socket fits into Bucket Sleeve.

The Bulb Socket moves in and out of the Bucket Sleeve by means of the focus adjusting screw.

Ted is missing the bucket SLEEVE.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration