Military Multi-wheeled and tracked T on Shorpy

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Military Multi-wheeled and tracked T on Shorpy
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 05:37 am:

http://www.shorpy.com/node/17319#comments

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 09:09 am:

Neat pic. Looks like a 1919 car. It has the knurled, side mounted horn button. Interestingly, it has an oil tail lamp but no front oil lamps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 07:39 pm:

So how do you steer it? If you turned it more than a couple of degrees it would seem to just drive right out of its own track. Normally tracked vehicle steer with the brakes I think but this thing has a steering wheel and it does have what appears to be a "normal" front axle. Look at the huge disc shaped object on the rear wheel. I wonder if the steering mechanism applies brakes to the appropriate wheel at the rear to thus steer it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 07:47 pm:

Seen that one before but it is a real favorite. Would love to know the whole story of before and after. Wonder what became of that unit?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 09:20 pm:

I find it interesting that they took the car's standard license plate, flipped it over and stenciled "U.S. ARMY ORD. DEPT." on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 12:26 am:

Looks like some HUGE brakes on the rear wheels? My guess would be operating them independently made the vehicle turn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 09:35 am:

I'd love to see one of these cars in real life. I wonder if they ever built more than just the one in the photo, or if it even worked. Some slick engineering went into building that one if it did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 06:21 am:

Same car, different view-

http://www.shorpy.com/node/17329

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 02:18 am:

One of those officers in the back of pic #2 looks like IKE !!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration