21 inch wheel press.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 21 inch wheel press.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 08:47 am:

Hey guys,

i have built and used the 30 inch wheel press. Are there plans out there for a 21 in press?

Thanks....

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 08:52 am:

If you are talking about a wheel press for installing wooden spokes, I used John Regan's plans to make a wheel press for installing new spokes in my 21" wheels for my '26 coupe back in 2011 and it worked perfectly. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 08:58 am:

Jim..... Did you use the same press that is designed for the 30 inch wheel? I built one of those, but it seems like it would be too wide for the 21 inch, no? i haven't tried it though. Just starting to think through this new project.

Michael.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 09:12 am:

Yes, the same press works for both wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 10:48 am:

Michael. I was only given one wheel press plan by John Regan, so I assume he designed it to accommodate all sizes of Model T wheels. If you look at the thread of my experience I posted below, the photo shows plenty of room on the wheel press frame, outside the diameter of my 21" wheel, for a larger wheel, such as yours, to fit.

Since I did my wheel in 2011, a good idea has arisen to use a styrofoam cup to support the teepee as the spokes are being stacked into position, then the cup will gradually collapse as you tighten it down.

The most important thing I learned was to make micro adjustments of the spokes at each 1/4 turn of the nut, as the spokes will not all want to go down perfectly. Some will want to go down faster than others while some will want to twist. You must adjust each errant spoke to its correct position before tightening any further. It is easier to yank UP on the spokes than to push down and I recall that on some spokes i had to yank up with all my might to get it to come up, but it must be done or some spokes will be deeper than others. You must also twist each spoke that is not straight until it is straight which also requires a tight grip and alot of strength.

All adjustments must be done prior to reaching the point where adjustments are no longer possible. If you reach this point and there are still spokes that are out of place, it will not hurt to back off on the nut until adjustments are once again possible. I even started over once when my teepee started going down crooked (see 2011 thread on my experience) www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/183733.html. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 02:50 pm:

Thanks guys. The Regan press worked great for me when I built the wheels for my 16. Guess it's time to haul it about of moth balls!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration