How's this for a lowered axle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: How's this for a lowered axle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 09:21 am:

This is a little too low for my taste :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 09:39 am:

Any idea what the ground clearance would be? Got to be really close.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 09:42 am:

*whistle* just enough to keep the axle off the ground, as long as you don't get a flat tire!

I would imagine the oil pan needed a skid plate and that's why this thing is for sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 11:09 am:

It's used to smooth out the center of dirt roads!:-)
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Rhoads on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 12:36 pm:

Just use 48-inch wheels, and it should work fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 03:22 pm:

He couldn't find a pair of 26-27 spindles?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 06:56 am:

I just saw this in a facebook posting..
lowered speedster
lowered speedster 2
Pictures by Scott Baldauf from last years Vintage Torque Fest in Iowa.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 07:20 am:

This make me wonder about the axle being welded. Remember the one piece spindle axles that were discussed, with the new ends being welded on? Some of those welds were failing. I doubt that this lowered axle was made without being welded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 07:56 am:

I think a welded axle can be strong enough if the welder knows what he's doing (& that's unfortunately not always the case.) I would have liked at least a double wishbone to hold the caster angle steadier..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 08:20 am:

wow.... what a low rider

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 08:58 am:

Call me slow, but frankly I don't see any advantage to that at all. Looks more like a "rock grabber" to me. About as bad as needing an 8' stepladder to crawl into one of those monster pickups sitting high up, yet with axles almost at the same distance to the ground as a regular truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 09:09 am:

maybe he was just trying to solve the issue of getting oil to the front bearing because the back end looks stock height!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 03:33 pm:

I would imagine that the axle was intended for a trailer or wagon to keep the load center-of-gravity or manual lifting height lower. I don't think it would be legal, at least not in Califunny. "No part of the chassis or suspension" is allowed to be lower than the rim of the wheel. If you were to remove the tires from the rims, it would have to be able to roll without dragging any part of the axle or wishbone assembly.
I don't think it would pass that test.
Neat, however.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 12:52 pm:

Hi Ed if it for sale PM me the details I would love to own it. thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 03:11 pm:

That one that Roger posted was made from a dropped axle to start with. Shame they ruined it. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 06:29 pm:

Sorry, the pic was from Hershey 2011 :-)Who knows where it is now.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration