500 gal fuel tanker

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 500 gal fuel tanker
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By allen stene on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 10:03 am:

Any one know what a 500gal fuel tank is worth? The one I have is oval, 200gal/300gal with a tool box on the rear in good condition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 10:48 am:

I have one too that is oval, 2 compartment with the "doghouse" (toolbox) on the back and I believe it is 500 gallons. I've had mine since the early 1970s and always thought that I might put it on a TT chassis someday. Mine is so short is would probably fit on a car chassis but I thought it would be too heavy. The original owner told me that it was originally used on Model T chassis. Can you post photos of your tank? I don't have a photo of mine. It is in the bushes at my dad's place, about 75 miles from where I live.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J Williams on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 12:14 pm:

Hi guy's
I think TT tankers are cool .just so you know the box on the back with two doors is called the bucket box usually had a
Gallons counter on the inside of one of the doors.
I have a.three section tanker also oval with the bucket box
That I shortened to a single compartment for one of my TTs
Bought it in a junkyard for 100.00 But yours are worth what
Ever you feel . Sorry I can't send pics from this I pad but
I would like to see pics of yours
Thanks Jim w

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 03:45 pm:

It makes sense that it would be called the "bucket box." Over here in the Ozarks folks were not well informed. I have heard more than one old timer refer to it as the "dog house." I have been searching (many years) for an old photo of a truck with the small two-compartment tank. Most tankers had bigger tanks. If anyone has a photo of a truck with the small tank, please post it. As for what a tank is worth: I really don't know. I've had lots of offers for mine but no one has ever offered much. They have gotten to be very hard to find. If someone was specifically looking for one I don't know what they would be willing to pay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 06:12 pm:

So a 500 gallon tank is going to hold about 5000# of liquid (2 1/2 tons)!!! Water is 10# per gallon and gasoline is not a lot different.
It would be a BIG load for a TT truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 06:41 pm:

"A pint's a pound the world around" that would equate to 8 lbs per gallon for water. Gas is about 6 lbs per gallon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J Williams on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 06:52 pm:

Hi les
I think that judging from the size of my tank 300 gallons
Would be tops for the short ton TT whatever a short ton is?
And I'm just guessing but I think the car chassis would only
Hold 100 gal. Then again just guessing.

Jim w.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 07:06 pm:

Seeing as Allen lives in the US, we can assume the tank capacity is in US gallons.

500 Gallons [US] of water = 4172.632 Pounds

In the UK or Canada (if we still used gallons) 500 Gallons of water would = 5011.122 Pounds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 07:45 pm:

"With a couple exceptions, most items are worth somewhere between the current asking price and what was paid for it the last time it was sold"...

There was a TT with a fuel tank body at an Auction in Milton, WI the Saturday before Christmas. I think the whole truck went for around a grand. I don't remember the exact price, but there were a couple other T guys there and we figured the truck might go for $500 - $800 and were surprised it went as high as it did. The engine was locked up tight and if I remember correctly, it had a pretty deteriorated plywood cab on it. The same truck has been sighted since then somewhere online and in a free auto-buyer magazine at the supermarket being advertised for $5,900.00.

I've only known one T parts vendor who had just the oil tanker body for a TT and he advertised the heck out of it and it took a darn long time to sell (might have been a decade). I think it was priced in the $600-$800 range. My niece has a TT or AA tanker body on their farm in Iowa I bet they would give me if I asked about it, but for me I think it might be too much of a headache to be worthwhile even if it was free... Its one of those "odd" things. You could end up having it for a darn long time, advertise the heck out of it, get less than you have in it... -OR- The first person who inquires could be ready to pay big bucks for it. You just don't know till you try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 08:23 pm:

Art
You are absolutely right. I had forgotten about the "midget size" of the US gallon. I grew up with imperial gallons and the rule was 10 lbs. of water to a gallon.
Barry
I suspect far more of the world knew a gallon as 10 lbs of water.
4.55 litres in a imperial gallon. 3.8 litres to a US gallon
Anyway a 300 US gallon tank of gasoline at 1800 lbs. (and then add in the weight of the tank) would likely be a full load for a TT,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David A. Siver on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 08:12 am:

This is what a friend does to them.
Fuel tank Longhorn Steer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 12:23 pm:

Gasolene is on the order of 6 lbs or so per gallon.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration