Ford Garage sign and an early IH tractor-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Ford Garage sign and an early IH tractor-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 06:55 am:

Actually there are two Ford signs on the building.

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 10:52 am:

That's what caused the dust bowl right there. A tractor with a plow and a tandem disk to pulverize the top soil. Herb, is that a Mogul tractor?

That rig would have taken four stout horses to pull it, I can't tell if it's a single or double bottom plow but a team would wear out even on a single bottom, especially breaking sod. There are two discs hooked together, either of them took at least three horses to pull by itself. That tractor must have been a wonder to behold, pulling all that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 11:07 am:

what it the guy with the bolt cutters going to do?????????????????? charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 11:19 am:

Those are chain tongs. He probably just put a link in the hook up chains.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 02:08 pm:

Not only did you have the weight of the equipment but sometimes their were guys riding on the disks raise and lower them as needed to create wash out areas in low points to help with erosion. A couple of guys would have added a couple hundred pounds.

Chain tong...Wasn't that the little Chinese guy who owned the eatery down the street?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 03:14 pm:

There is a tractor like that one at Mt. Pleasant, Iowa and is run during the Old Threshers over Labor Day Weekend. It is controlled by two horse reins from the seat of the equipment it is pulling. It was evidently designed for the farmer who was used to controlling a team of horses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 04:08 pm:

still looks like bolt cutters! maybe to cut the chain when those skinny wheels went to spinning. lol!!!!!!! charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne - Racine, MN on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 04:15 pm:

The tractor in the photo is an International 8-16 Mogul. They started building them in 1914 and were the first ones designed by the company for the smaller farmer in mind. They have a single cylinder engine and a single speed planetary transmission . . just forward and reverse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 05:22 pm:

Roger, is it you that has the "ReinDrive" tractor? Somebody I know has one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne - Racine, MN on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 08:34 pm:

No Stan, it's not me . . . I've only seen one of those in person and it is located down at a show in Iowa.
Here is a little more background on the 8-16 Mogul tractors for those who may be interested. They were built from 1914 through 1917 and over 14,000 were produced . . . more than any other tractor of that period. The single cylinder engine has a 8" bore with a 12" stroke and uses a low tension igniter for ignition instead of a spark plug. The engine ran at a top RPM of 400 and the ground speed was a blistering 1.85 MPH. International put out a lot of advertizing trying to convince farmers to sell eight of their horses and replace them with a tractor. Below are a couple of expects from those ads. One big issue at that time was soil compaction and they state that the 8-16, which weights aprox 5,100#, only put a pressure of 10# per square inch while work horses of 1400#, exerted pressure of 30# per square inch under their hove's when working.

Below are photos of an 8-16 that I used to own. I did a full rebuild of the tractor but chose to leave it in its "work clothes". Considering these tractors tosses more oil around than even the worst Model T, I figured it would best to just let the oil keep it from rusting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 11:55 am:

I think it is a John Deere sulky single bottom plow right hand . I have the same plow, but a left hand. see picture.
Toon
1596R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 11:58 am:

I try it again
1596R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 12:33 pm:

I have a salesman's sample of that plow. wish I could post pixs. charley

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration