Model T Art

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Model T Art
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 10:24 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 10:46 am:

Absolutely gorgeous. I love the subtlety of detail. I can see each individual row of finned tubes in the radiator, and yet, it's just the barest suggestion. Likewise, the thin, line across the radiator near the bottom. And the perspective is awesomeŚright down to the foreshortening of the crank-handle. And the pose is pure Model TŚno other brass car can do that. The artist really knows his subject. Sure wish I could draw like you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Rhoads on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 12:10 pm:

That picture looks a lot like one I remember from a book I checked out of the school library in 9th grade, some 40 years ago. The book (the name of which I've long since forgotten), and that picture in particular, helped forge my early fascination with the Model T Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 12:27 pm:

That was lifted from a well known factory illustration/photo.

Who knows if the artist did it free hand, traced it (via an Artograph) or ran the original illustration through a computer graphics program.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 08:29 pm:

The way I figure it, "A thing is beauty is a joy forever," whichever way it got onto paper. I printed it and it's going into a frame and onto the wall of my den.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 09:16 pm:

I don't know when it was first published but it is shown on page 59 of Philip Van Doren Stern's "Tin Lizzie" that was copyrighted 1955. Based on the date of that book I would say the illustration was originally done without the aid of computer graphics.

That is still one of my favorite Model T Ford books. Yes, they have several errors, but so do most things in life. But they have a lot of great information (but unfortunately they seldom reference where it was obtained). Great stories and just a good read. Available at some local libraries, some used book stores, and apparently now available in reprint. If anyone looks at the reprint version, please let us know if the quality is excellent, good, ok, fair or poor.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Rhoads on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 07:16 am:

That's the book I was thinking of, Hap. Thank you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Mullis on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 08:22 am:

I don't remember anything else about the book but I do remember that illustration. I checked it out from the school library when I was in middle school. I couldn't been more than 11 at the time. I was already interested in antique cars, radios and phonographs when I read the book. I credit that picture with pinpointing my car interest in the Model T. Then my history teacher showed the film about the Model T with the first line "There's one car that will get you wherever it is that you need to go......the Model T". Hook, line and sinker, I was captured.
I remember many older relatives trying to dissuade my then newfound interest in Lizzie. "Them things run on magnetos and are hard set up and keep running" they said. "Model As are much easier to work on and drive" they said. I'm glad I didn't listen.

It wasn't until I was 50 that I had my first running drivable T.
My wife bought our 16' after settling her mother's estate. It has proven to be the best money that we have ever spent on our marriage. I like to tinker, she loves to ride (that's a good combination.) I think she most likes the attention ol' Liz gets. We pack up our T with a cooler of drinks and snacks and just ride.

Thanks Hap for the book information. I'll find and purchase a copy of my own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 08:56 am:

Fantastic print! Gonna go to the library and get the book for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 09:52 am:

Excuse me? Isn't that the same type of articulation the 4X4's and rock crawlers are trying to achieve today maybe they need to look at the past..Great print!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration