OT: Help wanted with Marvel Model E carb leak

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT: Help wanted with Marvel Model E carb leak
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 07:24 pm:

Hello all I need to correct a drop-every-few-seconds fuel leak from the air intake on a Marvel Model E carb (non-T application).

I am working beyond my pay grade here, and am hoping for wise counsel as to the probable source of this leak and how it might be stopped with the minimum of disassembly. The float arm is roughly horizontal when the needle is seated, and the needle and seat appear smooth... is there any other likely problem beyond needle/seat or float level?

Thank you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 07:40 pm:

I think the needle is either leaking gas or the float is a bit low so gas rises in the low speed nozzle and drips out.
I had a similar problem with a Toquet carb I'm running on my '27 Tudor.
I adjusted the float and that was that.
I hope your problem is solved that easily.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 07:54 pm:

Or seepage at the base of the high speed nozzle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 09:31 pm:

I am not knowledgeable on that particular carb but I have had non T carbs leak and found the threaded area of the carb housing to be cracked where the seat screws into the carb body. The fuel will leak around the needle and seat and by pass it entirely.
The float, is it cork, or brass or ?. If brass it could be partly filled with gas makeing it heavy and not letting it float up to the top as it should.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 09:49 pm:

Chris,
I rebuilt one of those for my 1915 Oakland a few years back. I can't remember for sure but I think there were some gaskets on the various plugs and covers. I replaced all of mine. I'd guess, if there was an original gasket remaining on yours, it might be cracked and leaking. Unless maybe it has a hole in the float or the float valve is leaking.
Verne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 08:12 pm:

Thanks everyone, for your comments and suggestions.

It turned out the needle and seat were not as good as they first appeared (the seat wasn't, anyway). I lapped it in with fine compound followed by Timesaver and all is well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 02:03 am:

So it WAS the easy fix.......every once in a blue moon things turn out that way....... :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration