1911 Torpedo repop ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1911 Torpedo repop ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 10:33 pm:

There is a 1911 torpedo on ebay. The seller says that its an original car but it appears to me to have a lot of later stuff on it based on the pictures. The body even looks like a Ray Wells body based on some pictures from under the seat. What's a car like that really worth besides the answer of "what ever someone is willing to pay for it? Long term value as far as an investment? Just curious because it does have some hard to find items on it that can be expensive to buy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 10:39 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221422643302?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m142 3.l2648

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 10:47 pm:

Hey John, we've already been talking about this car. Check out the "This looks like fun" thread. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/439983.html?1398252230

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 11:36 pm:

I don't know whether it is better to answer here, or on the other, longer, thread. However, the question was asked here.
MY opinion. Especially when it comes to brass era cars. I would be much more interested in a reproduction body and put-together car where an attempt was made to keep most of the car at least looking "era correct" than I would an original car with a whole lot of after-market accessories that were not available until nearly a decade later. TO ME, that is NOT a brass era car.
However. As to dollar value. There are a lot of very valuable accessories on that thing. One could part out that engine, transmission and wheels for more than enough to put a proper rear end, wheels, engine, and transmission in it.
As a general rule, the more original parts a car has, the more it should be worth. But it does not always work out that way. Many people are sold on "nice". Reproduction cars with just a little correct early stuff sometimes sell for more because they "look so nice"! That car, however, is an older restoration and not that sharp still.
I cannot tell by the photos if it is an original body or not.
I usually hesitate to put a price on another person's car. Rumor has it (on the other thread), that it had been on Craig's List for awhile at $25K. I would say that would have been a very fair price. You could not build it for that. With a little effort, you could wind up with two great cars. One nice 1911, one great, later, race car. Or one interesting brass-like car. I may not like it that way. But a lot of people do.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 12:05 am:

I did pretty well,on my 1911 look-a-like I sold, it brought 1/2 of what an original 1911 would bring. I tend to see things the way Wayne does, most folks don't drive there early cars daily or on long tours... So that makes the later counter fit more user friendly. The up side you don't have to worry about trashing a $10,000 early motor if something brakes. Mine was built on a 1920 chassis, most of the AACA members judged the car and didn't have a clue if it was accurate example of an early T or a pile of parts... And I didn't volunteer any info either, lol...
You just have to figure out if you want a show piece or a driver I like to drive myself, one reason I'm not restoring the 1915 roadster, gonna drive it as is.... They draw a huge crowed at the shows when they are old and rugged looking.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration