FORGOT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: FORGOT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 10:47 pm:

I always double check my spark lever before I crank but this morning I forgot.

picture of hand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 10:52 pm:

Dave! Is anything broken? I'm hoping it just came around and popped you a good one. I hope you're ok. That looks like it smarted. Lol, as my dad would say, you were probably doing the Indian Rain Dance - walking jerkedly around looking up and down saying "WHAAAA-OHHHH-OHHHHH!!!!!!! WHAAAA-OHHHH-OHHHH!!!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 11:01 pm:

Looks pretty disappointing. I hope the guys who always say it's never happened to them (yet) are paying attention.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 11:02 pm:

Dave,
Many of us are on blood thinners that makes things look worse than they are--I hope that's the case here. I hope nothing is broken. Let us know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 11:07 pm:

Let's us hope it is just a knowledge bump.Speedy recovery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 11:10 pm:

Seth:
Nothing is broken but it sure did bleed. It tore a good hunk of skin off. At first I didn't know that I had torn the skin I had gloves on. I reset the spark rod and then started the T. I always wear gloves when I crank a T. After I started the T I took my gloves off and saw all the blood. I went to the house, bandaged the hand and then drove into town for my usual coffee at Grand Pa's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 11:14 pm:

Mike Black:

I am not on blood thinner it just tore off a hung of skin about the size of a quarter and fairly deep.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 11:14 pm:

Dave - We're glad nothing is broken. It's a good lesson for all of us.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 11:48 pm:

Dave,
You are to be commended for showing your booboo. It looks quite bad but sounds like it could have been much worse. It may be a valuable learning experience for those that are not too committed in their right handed ways to always use their left hand when cranking.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 12:03 am:

Rats!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 12:44 am:

Ooh, OW OW OW OW!
But thank you for the reminder.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 05:47 am:

What did that to your hand? The handle or something else?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 06:36 am:

Dave,

I'm so sorry that happened to you and I'm praying for a speedy recovery for you. For this rather "steadfast" [for some reason my wife mispronounces the word and it seams like she is saying "stubborn"] right hand cranker, when you have time would you let us know if you were using a right hand pull up on the crank from about the 7 o'clock position or some other method of cranking. Also if your thumb was around the crank or not. Also, were you starting on mag or battery power? On battery, I expect to hear the coils singing -- if not that often reminds me I forgot to turn the switch on or to retard the spark.

I try to be open to "better ideas" and I probably should work on learning to crank with the left hand -- your photo may have just convinced me. Statistically we all forget something sometime.

Again, thank you for sharing and we wish you a speedy recovery.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 06:43 am:

Hap I can't crank with my left hand either, it's just too weird. I try to really make sure I follow my "Cranking process" every time but it's easy to get thrown off.

Actually, since I've gone to the high tension mag and impulse coupler, I haven't been able to get her to kick back. With the spark advanced she just doesn't like to start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike dixon on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 06:58 am:

uhhhh, all the more reason to get a distributor, I have 4 ts,I drive the easy one. dont care whos watching

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 07:25 am:

UGGGGGHHH! As my daughter reminds me (she is a nurse) you can bend it, twist it, shake it, but don't break it it's hard to find replacement parts for older models. Speedy recovery!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 07:30 am:

Dave, Sorry that happened. Hope you recover soon.

Steve, You'll be among the first to know if it ever happens to me. I'll 'man up' just like Dave did.

Sincerely,

Hal
(Who is too committed to his right handed ways to use his left hand when cranking.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 08:55 am:

Wishing you a speedy recovery, Dave. Feel better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 09:06 am:

Dave, sure hope you'll mend fast, and glad nothing was broken. I'm not good with gloves, but I just might try this once and see. I've tried left hand cranking many times, and I just don't have the strength, let alone the dexterity with it. But, as my arthritis in the shoulders is slowly worsening, frankly at least one if not both crank start cars will get an electric starter put in, or a new home address! I can barely get the re-build started now as it is with my shoulders the way they are and the tight engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 09:17 am:

Dave,I hope you only have minor fast healing damage!If it's only a little skin and blood with your picture it may be a good thing for all to see? Checking is important,but i thing retarding and counting to 5 before turning off the switch is better! This gives more free starts and it's harder to make a mistake !! Thank's for your post and i hope you heal fast! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 09:22 am:

Sooner or later...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 09:58 am:

At least you know what happened. One of the features of advanced maturity is to look down and see blood, and wonder "How in the heck did I do that?" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 10:06 am:

Silly boy. Not only did you not check the advance, but also forgot to use the correct hand. I hope you recover quickly and keep that image posted next to your keys.

I would have posted this version and claimed I hit it on the fender though. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 10:21 am:

Install a distributor Mike? I'd rather have my hand look like Dave's than do that. Dave, I'm wondering what method you use? It appears that you face the rad while cranking. I always turn my right hand and face the passenger side while I lift from7 o'clock. I've been kicked before too but, then the crank will hit the tougher palm of your hand instead. It seems perfectly safe to me. Like others, I just can't do the left handed thing. Thanks for posting this helpful reminder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 10:29 am:

I sometimes forget to retard my timing, and I have always used the left hand, I also practice starting with the timing advanced, this keeps me on my toes. As far as a distributor keeps you from a kick back, it is true that they are not as bad, but my worst kick back was when starting a 1942 Ford GPW, they hurt, but are not as bad as with the T. I always use my right hand on the GPW, because that is the way I have done it for 40 years, but thanks to this forum, I only use the right hand on the T when priming, and then I always make sure the switch is off. I credit the members of this forum for my lack of injury (so far anyway)
Best
Gus

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 10:29 am:

I'm just glad the picture is blurry. Twice. Hope you're OK soon. live & learn I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 10:30 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 10:53 am:

We've been through all this before, more than once, but here I go anyway. This is not a fine motor skill like handwriting or threading a needle. All you're doing is pulling something. You're not even guiding it. This requires absolutely no dexterity. None. "But it makes choking awkward!" No, it doesn't. Pull the choke wire with your left and prime with your right. Then turn on the ignition and pull up with your left. Simple. Unless you have some physical infirmity that prevents it, there's no reason not to pull with your left.

You've seen this a jillion times, but here it is again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCWnmPrxKo0

By the way, I'm right-handed too.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 11:25 am:

You forgot to lean on the hot radiator as shown in the pic :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 11:40 am:

I don't know why but when I pull lefty I tend to want to lean on the rad. too. Can't explain it. Right handed though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 11:46 am:

I prime right handed and then turn on the key and start left handed. I, (however) am "left handed in both hands". That is both hands are as awkward as a right handed person's left hand!:-)

By the way, a distributor will not help in this situation. They will also kick if they are advanced. Perhaps if your distributor has an automatic advance, you will be spared.

Good luck Dave, heal quickly.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 11:58 am:

Hand cranking is new to me and so far my left hand seems pretty useless but maybe I need to practice some...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 12:06 pm:

I'm left handed, so cranking "properly" seems natural to me--I had a lot of practice with my Model A back in high school days (couldn't afford a new battery). But it's interesting to note that the Brush automobile engine runs counter-clockwise so that one can crank it with the right hand. This was touted as a Safety Feature! The spark and throttle are also backwards from the T, that took a bit of getting used to!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 01:08 pm:

I am also left handed and there is no way I'm cranking with my dominant hand - use it too much to get buggered up like Dave just did. I've cranked more T's than I can remember with my right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 01:37 pm:

Left handed cranking by left handed guys. I had a 1905 1 cylinder Cadillac and it was a reverse rotation motor and cranked with your left hand. As a lefty I had no trouble starting the car.

Now I did try to start my 1912 torpedo left handed , not so easy. doable but difficult for sure. I was always taught to crank with your thumb over the back side of the crank handle. If it does happen to snap back it just pulls the crank from your grip.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 01:56 pm:

Brasscarguy,
It is not the pulling the crank from your grip that hurts. As Dave and anyone that has broken their arm/wrist can verify, it is the handle swinging around and hitting the back of your hand/arm that does the damage.
http://www.pbase.com/jimthode/tcranking

I'm not saying how folks should crank their own car, just presenting something to think about.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 02:04 pm:

I am so sorry to see anybody get hurt up trying to enjoy a T or anything else for that matter but now you see why my T's have sissy buttons in the floor board.I have enough aches and pains than to forget the lever and break something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 02:23 pm:

oh oww good informative post so we will remember
my hand skin too is getting very thin and easily torn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 02:24 pm:

Reading this entire thread, and feeling very sorry for Dave, I tried my best to resist adding my forever rant. But, I'm weak...

When cranking a T, don't use your right hand.

Also, don't use your left hand.

Use your right foot!

Key off, choke the way that suits you best. Leave the crank handle at about 2:00 - 3:00 or so. Then, when coming back from turning the key on, stand with your right thigh against the left headlight. Grasp the radiator neck for stability, and put your right foot on the crank. Take a last look at the spark lever, to make sure it's all the way up. Then pretend you're starting a Harley.

In the unlikely event that the engine kicks back, you might be tossed on your arse, but more likely you'll just have your foot tossed off the crank.

A side advantage to this method is that you have a lot more power stomping down with a leg than you have pulling up on a crank while leaning over, so you can spin the engine a lot faster.

Also, your leg has a lot more kicks in it before getting bushed, than your arm and back have.

Try it. You'll like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 02:38 pm:

The kick method sounds like a recipe for busted cajones, a screwed up knee, or any number of other things. Plus, if car is hot grasping the radiator neck won't happen for long. =)

I crank with my right hand with thumb on same side as fingers. I also tend to pull outwards so that if I ever did get kick-back it'll roll out of my hand, and my hand is out of the way of the handle by the time it comes back up around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 03:49 pm:

They start when they want to, and they kick when they want to.

I have watched a lot of guys really put some "ummph" into pulling the crank, kind of like Steve's video, and that is how I have always done it too. But I have seen some pretty frail looking "old-timers" just gently pull up a quarter turn without much effort at all.

One day at a show, I was asked to demonstrate crank starting. I always preface this demonstration with the explanation of retarded spark and broken wrists if it is not retarded. I also tell everyone that my car starts easily by cranking as long as nobody is watching, but when I try and demonstrate the procedure, it will not start. This day was no exception. I cranked, and I choked, and I choked and I cranked. It would not start. Then someone asked what the buzzing noise was, so I explained about the coils, and I began to very slowly turn the crank so that they could hear the different coils. I pulled a little, and one buzzed, a little more, and the next one buzzed, a little further and it started! I was just rolling it ever so gently so that we could hear each coil buzz and off it went!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 03:51 pm:

What I would like to see is more acceptance of people who make their own choice to do it their way. I'm a grown man. I can decide to start my T with my right hand if I want. I'd like to be able to do it without being preached at by the holier than thou.

My Mom absolutely forbade motorcycles as being too dangerous. As an adult, I was knocked off of my Harley by a '79 Chevy and suffered some fairly serious, but not life threatening, injuries. My Mom was at the hospital telling my wife how she needed to tell me not to get back on that thing. My wife pretty much told her to mind her own business, but in a polite way. I was back on the bike before my leg was out of the cast. Would it be safer to stay off the bike? Yeah, I imagine it would. But you know what? I didn't want to! And I didn't!

Same goes for cranking right handed. And I don't care to hear about how wrong it is any more than I care to hear my Mom telling me not to ride motorcycles. It gets damned old.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 04:27 pm:

Hal,
I don't think anyone is trying to get you to change your informed decision to crank right handed. New folks come into this hobby all the time and it is reasonable inform them of the hazard and let them decide how to proceed.

Unlike the ever present hazard with motorcycles, the cranking hazard can be reduced by cranking with the left hand.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 04:41 pm:

So Dave,

I hope that wound is hurting a little less today. You did let a doctor take a look at it, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cary Abate on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 04:48 pm:

I guess I am in the minority. I use my foot from the inside of the car. At my age a kick back could break something.

Cary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 04:56 pm:

Dave, Glad to hear it's not fractured, I hate when that happens!

Of Course Ralph had to see your post...

I was just at his house the other day and before I cranked my T I told him to look the other way as I started it. I don't think he did but I didn't get a scolding.

He knows I think he is right but I also haven't changed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 05:10 pm:

I still don't understand what broke the skin. The impact of the crank coming back around?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 05:29 pm:

Dan,
Yes, that is the whole issue. If the engine backfires it will pull the crank out of your hand and spin back around (very fast) and hit the back of your hand/arm if it is in the way.

See Steve's excellent demonstration of what can happen and note the he was cranking with his left hand and was not hurt. With the left hand your hand is pushed away form the crank circle. With the right hand your hand is more likely pushed into the crank circle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_lkFGQToIw

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 08:04 pm:

I've rapped myself on the back of the hand like that several times over the years, but I've never drawn blood. I'm glad you weren't badly injured.

I always instruct people to crank with their left hand, but I don't dare do it with mine. An industrial accident many years ago required surgical reconstruction to repair four torn ligaments and I don't want to undo any of Dr. falconer's good work. So, I'll keep cranking with my right hand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 12:10 pm:

That was a good point about newbies and hand cranking. I watched a man started his once with his foot on the hand crank and thought how awkward that must be. Like everything else I imagine you get accustomed to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ex trooper on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 04:06 pm:

Push the button, pull the chain, theres goes the flivver down the, ah, road... ws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKotLUtjxDQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 06:06 pm:

It's much safer if you do like I do JUST PRESS THE STARTER BUTTON.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold R Carpenter - Fair Grove, MO on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 10:34 am:

I had never cranked my 26 TT, until one day I was driving with the switch in battery position and the truck stopped. I flipped the switch to Mag, pulled the crank 1/4 turn with my left hand, and was on my way again so proud that I had finally cranked my T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 03:42 am:

Yeah, Gene, I've seen you start your car also, and commented that you are a brave man (thinking, gad this guys nuts lol).
Geo.N L.A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 04:07 am:

Dave, we all forget eventually but I'm glad it wasn't a much worse injury. So far, the one time I forgot, I was glad I was using the left hand as all it did was shoot out of my hand and throw it clear. It smarted, but no actual damage. Sure made a mental impression though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 08:56 am:

I have never personally seen any one crank left handed, We set the spark and gas, one or two flips and its running. If it is hot it free starts no need to crank The old 12 has done this for 54 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 09:27 am:

Folks who are new to hand cranking may not be aware that there are two likely types of injury from a kickback. One is the kind shown in Dave's picture, and Jim's, when the crank spins around and catches your pulling hand. The other is when you make the mistake of going past the twelve o'clock position and pushing down on the crank. This is what I was stupidly doing when the tractor broke my arm. When that handle kicks back up it doesn't matter which hand you're using or where your thumb is. I can testify that it hurts like Hell. On the plus side, you do get to take a nice nap when you pass out from the excruciating pain. This is why I always comment when the subject comes up. If some people are annoyed because they think I'm preaching at them, T S. If they're aware of what can happen and choose to court disaster anyway, I don't care. I want those who are new to hand cranking to be fully informed so they can avoid unnecessary injury.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 10:14 am:

So As a teen and being introduced to a 1913 Ford restored by my father and me, I was taught to thumb over the back of the crank handle.

What my father failed to teach me was when the headlamps were lit and the motor needed to be cranked, not to rest your hand on the bonnet of the "HOT" headlamp. For a very long time the Ford script was embedded in my palm. Lesson learned, never did that since.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 10:19 am:

or you make the mistake I made and tried kick starting it and get thrown on the front fender, and I landed on my back I never guessed the T had enough power to throw a 140 pound teenager I spent the next three weeks fixing my fender because I did a number on it. Do not kick start model T's you kick them and they kick back

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration