Spare tire mounted tail light

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Spare tire mounted tail light
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Merv Gadd on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 12:02 am:

Hello all can anyone tell me or show a pic of how the taillight licence plate bracket. is attached to the spare tire carrier on a 26 roadster Thanks Merv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 01:36 am:

I know about the light on the fender, but am not aware of a factory light mounted on the spare tire carrier for 26. I have been wrong before though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 04:36 am:

To the best of my knowledge, the '26 roadster was fender mounted and used a bent tin piece more like on the Model A. The bracket was the standard T center mounted hollow back drum tin cup type, with the license plate 'legs'.

Sorry don't have a picture, but if you know how to search, and search works for you...somewhere in the past Mr. Treace managed to post a pic' of a 26 roadster in a rail car that shows everything in relationship.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 06:16 am:

I think On the fender it should look like this.
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/1304

As I understood only the no-starter car had a center mounted bracket for the Ford-O tail light.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 08:41 am:

Tail lamp doesn't mount to the '26-'27 spare mount on the runabout.

Here is the standard tail lamp set-up. Uses a fender mounted bracket, and the license frame/tail lamp was used from '24 up.

In place on the Improved Car

p.s. George! When I see 'Mr Treace' in answering any of my mail I quickly think of my Dad! Just call me Dan, thanks :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 09:11 am:

Merv, the center stop light on all modern cars is called a Dole Light after the senator that introduced the Federal legislation that mandated they be added to all vehicles.

I complied and I do have a spare tire mounted tail light.

Stop Light

A combination accessory Stop/Tail light came out in 1926.

Stop3

The light comes with a license plate bracket and mounts to the same fender bracket.

Stop4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 09:14 am:

Correction please.

The tire mounted light is only a stop light, but the glare obscured the word STOP in black paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 11:12 am:

James;
How did you mount the light to the spare tire bracket? I need to mount on on a friends car and there's not area to work with. Did you put it between the "Y" and the spare tire support? His coupe has the wood wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 12:08 pm:

Looks to be a simple angle iron bracket bolted to the rim clamp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 12:19 pm:

Me bad eyes, is see that now. :-)The guy that I am helping wants a 26/27 brake/tail light mounted in the same place, his call. I'll do a little more thinking on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 03:06 pm:

I like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 03:52 pm:

The light has a bayonette style plug for a quick disconnect and a bolt the same size as the lug nuts, so one wrench can remove the bolt and lug nuts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 07:20 am:

Merv,

From your profile it looks like this is your second posting – so “Welcome Aboard”! It also shares that you are located in Canada. If your 1926 roadster is a Canadian produced car, please take a look on the firewall about an inch below where the radiator support rod joins the firewall and see if you find a letter and a number. Below is Gingles number from his 1926 Canadian Touring.

"If" your car is a Canadian one, then the following shows which letter goes with which Canadian assembly plant.

F for – main Canadian Ford Plant -- Ford City
M for MONTREAL, QUEBEC
T for Toronto, Ontario
W for Winnipeg, Manitoba
V for Vancouver, British Columbia

And if you have one of those numbers, please let me know what it is, along with the engine number (feel free to xxx the last 3 digits – I don’t need that much detail), and engine casting date (normally on a Canadian Engine a circle to the right of the water inlet on the block).

Again welcome to the forum. And if this is one of your first Ts welcome to Ts.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration