Springs - taper leaves and Poly-Slip

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Springs - taper leaves and Poly-Slip
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 04:46 pm:

In the process of overhauling '28 Model A springs and found my front spring has a mix of taper and square end leaves. Am I right in saying the taper leaf ended for good during the T years, meaning that someone has mixed T & A leaves in this spring? I know it's been messed with, as it has 13 leaves when it should have 10.

Also does anyone have experience of Poly-Slip, a plastic sheet you insert between leaves? I normally assemble with graphite, but some of the vendors offer this stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 04:51 pm:

I used teflon strips in one set I did,and It really improves ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 06:03 pm:

Did you just use teflon tape, or was it a product sold for springs? Oh, btw I got the name wrong, it's Poly-Slide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 06:48 pm:

I went to a plastic supplier and bought the sheet and cut the strips.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 07:31 pm:

Later V8 may have used tapered leafs. Model T would be narrower then Model A. I use home made graphite paint. Mix flake graphite with black enamel paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 08:25 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/404249.html?1385695919

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 08:42 am:

That old thread is interesting, Steve, thanks for the link. I have to disagree with Mark, the T & A front springs are both 1 3/4" wide and just under 31" between the eyes, the difference is the no of leaves - 7 for a T, 10 for an A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 09:34 am:

Teflon tape. Put on while the paint was just a bit tacky.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 09:40 am:

Often I find it hard to clamp the spring tight enough to mount the spring clips after painting with graphite paint. If the teflon strips adds even more thickness maybe you have to modify/ make new clips?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 09:56 am:

I made new clips for mine because the old ones were junk anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 10:41 am:

Model T front spring is 1 1/2 inches wide. 1 3/4 inches for the A spring sounds correct but I would have to check when I get to the shop. I worked on a 26 that the front spring had been replaced with an A front spring. The front cross member had been reshaped to fit and I had to use A shackles with spacers because the spring was wider then the perches. Because of the history of the car I had to work with what was there.
When I got my well worn 29 it had quite a mix of leafs in the front spring including clipped leaf and tapered. I am going to stick with my first guess that they are later V8 spring leafs which should be the same 1 3/4 or could have had the edges ground down to fit the cross member.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 07:08 pm:

Jem Bowkett - With all due respect, listen to Mark! I happen to have a '27 Model T and a '29 Model A parked in the carport right now, so I went out and measured. As Mark says, the Model T front spring leaves measure 1 1/2" wide, and the Model A front spring leaves measure 1 3/4" wide. FWIW,...harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 07:35 pm:

Oops! The computer chopped off the end of my second sentence in a bad place,....that's one and a half inches wide for the T spring, and an inch and three quarters for the A spring!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 06:10 pm:

I apologise, Mark, I got my T & A spring stocks confused. Which means that the taper leaves in my A spring are post-T , maybe V8 as you suggest. I found I have a recon A front spring on the shelf, so I don't need to mess with the 13 leaf spring. I've tried the Poly-slide tape on the rear spring and, sure enough, the clips won't fit now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schwab on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 12:20 pm:

Should the poly cover 100% of the spring surface, or is it OK to run a 1" strip down the middle so it doesn't show when the spring is assembled?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 12:26 pm:

No problem :-) I had to go check myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 02:32 pm:

David, if you look at the pictures in my link above you'll see that I covered the whole width of the leaves with UHMW. Seeing your question, I just went and looked. It's detectable if you're looking for it and get down close, but I don't think it's enough to worry about. In the real world nobody will notice it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration