Shims for connecting rods

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Shims for connecting rods
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim B Boyer on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 08:23 pm:

Hi guise,
I recently bought a set of shims for connecting rods from the venders and am having a difficult time separating them. They look to be stuck together? Is there a easy way to separate them or do I just use a sharp knife? Thanks for your input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 08:35 pm:

Heat helps separate them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 08:50 pm:

Just touch the edge against your wire wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 09:30 pm:

Use a razor blade.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 11:57 pm:

Hold one end with a pliers, and a Bic lighter on each side on the other end, both sides for 5 seconds each.

The glue will come loose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 08:11 am:

great advice I had the same question

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 08:33 am:

I find it very easy to use a utility knife.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 11:07 am:

I find it a pain in the assend.
I work and repair cars for free, but I charge like the devil for removing the parts from their wrappers and bubble packs.
There is no sense in gluing the shims together like they do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 11:09 am:

The real problem is, after you get them apart, it is still difficult to set the clearance. I have had to make shims in .001" thicknesses to get things right. Too bad the vendors don't carry them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 11:47 am:

I tried to buy .001" shim stock about 3 years ago. I would have even sttled for .002. It was a day or two wasted.
I ended up taking the crank out and having it cut down another .001".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 11:47 am:

I tried to buy .001" shim stock about 3 years ago. I would have even settled for .002. It was a day or two wasted.
I ended up taking the crank out and having it cut down another .001".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 12:51 pm:

If you would have called McMaster-Carr, or M.S.C., you would have next day delivery!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration