Ot Cars near a bridge-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Ot Cars near a bridge-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 07:51 am:

Anyone know the bridge?
Anyone care to name the cars?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 08:30 am:

It looks like the Firth of Forth bridge in eastern Scotland, I'll let someone else name the cars. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 08:43 am:

Looks like one super sturdy bridge, and I haven't a clue about the cars!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 10:03 am:

Mark, I agree. There's only one bridge in the world like that one. I recently read somewhere how long it tok to repaint that bridge and how much paint it took and how many paints lost their lives, It was mind boggling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Klem on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 10:25 am:

Looks like the supports are made of brick,
can"t be in earthquake country.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 01:40 pm:

gotta go with "standard" far left, "gladiator" far right, not able yet to identify the two center cars. place it about 1907 year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 03:38 pm:

I can name the cars...Fred, George, Joshua, and Brycen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 03:50 pm:

I have a picture of me in that exact location in 2008. It looks very much the same today except part of the bridge was replaced with a less elegant structure after the Germans bombed it. Also it is in color now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 05:06 pm:

OH! I get it now you wanted the make or model of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 05:11 pm:

Two big touring cars and two big town cars!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Glowacki on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 05:23 pm:

Yes, it sure looks like the Forth Road Bridge, went over it on my honeymoon many years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 08:40 pm:

According to the internet, the Firth of Forth railroad bridge was the first major steel structure built in England of steel. Construction started in 1883 and it opened in 1890.It took over 4,600 workers, of whom 63 lost their life, building it. The most recent repainting took place from 2002 to 2011 at a cost of 130 million Pounds, the equivalent of 218,413,000 US dollars. It was the first time since it was built that it was sandblasted to bare metal and repainted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 03:31 am:

WOW, now that's a bridge !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 07:14 am:

Third from the left is a Wolseley-Siddeley.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 07:43 am:

First from left could be a Minerva. Agree the 3rd from left is a Woseley Siddley.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 06:23 pm:

2nd from left - I think I can see only a single spoke in the steering wheel. If so it could possibly be a big Humber.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 01:51 am:

I remember seeing that bridge featured on a TV show a few years ago along with some other remarkable ones, maybe Discovery channel or History channel or something. It is indeed something to behold, even on TV. I envy Royce, I can't hardly imagine what that looks like in person.
Carl, if you look closer at the picture, it looks to me that those "bricks" are actually stone blocks, very large ones at that. Compare them to some of the steel that is in that bridge. I think the location of the cars kind of changes the perspective of that thing, it is HUGE. That was one heck of an engineering and construction feet. Royce, can you post your picture? It would be interesting to see the changes that were made. Great picture Herb. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Norton on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 05:51 am:

Edinburgh number plates.
www.cvpg.co.uk/REG.pdf
1903 - 1962 AREA CODES : 1 LETTER
This table shows the original 1903 single letter area codes which were used as a prefix with up to four numerals (e.g. H7823). The date given is
the date when all possible combinations with that letter were used up and it ceased to be issued. From 1953 to 1962, some of these (D, E, F, H, K,
N, R, U, W) were re-issued by their original counties in a reversed "suffix" format (e.g. 7823H).
A London - 1905 J Durham - 1922 S Edinburgh - 1920

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 06:27 pm:

I now reassess my first thoughts and agree the 1st left is a Standard. 2nd left is a 1906-07 Humber. What a great photo.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration