Pacemakers, Defibrillators and Model Ts (Compatabiity)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Pacemakers, Defibrillators and Model Ts (Compatabiity)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James R. Booth, DeRidder, LA on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 07:40 pm:

Last week I had a pacemaker/defibrillator implant recommended by my doctor. I was cautioned abut things such as microwaves, metal detectors, cell phones, etc. Magnets were not mentioned. Today I read the brochure for the item - it says, "Avoid equipment or other sources that generate strong magnetic fields (i.e. stereo speakers and industrial equipment often contain large magnets). Move away from strong magnetic fields as quickly a possible. If your ICD is exposed to a strong magnetic field it will not provide therapy for your heart condition."
My doctor does not even know what a Model T is! Can anyone tell me authoritatively the dangers of the Model T Magneto on this equipment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 08:10 pm:

This has been discussed here before. Do a keyword search on "pacemaker." My recollection is that you would have to have your chest a foot away from the mag while the engine was running for it to be a problem, but please don't rely on that. Do the keyword search and read the discussions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 08:19 pm:

I would suggest contacting the manufactures of the pacemaker and ask them.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/22343.html?1166792049

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/13047.html?1166582629

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/240194.html?1318332637

http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=118802&post=271044

Some of the above information is a few years old.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 08:37 pm:

James, after reading the threads on this subject I would be more concerned about the coils firing 72 times regardless of the engine revs!!! ONLY KIDDING
+

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 08:52 pm:

My dad had a Boston Scientific defib/pmkr implanted in early 2010. I asked the heart Dr about dad being around my T's, and he said not to lean over the engine or lay in the floor while running. Prior to his death last year, he had ridden repeatedly in all my T's with no ill effects.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 09:19 pm:

So is it the magnetism or the current generated that causes the problem? If it is the magnetism, I'm not sure it would matter whether it was running or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 09:24 pm:

I didn't question the Dr, but he probably knew less about T's than I knew about defibrillators/pacemakers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 10:04 pm:

I think we have a doctor here, so maby he will see this thread and shine some fresh light on the subject.
It would make some sense to me that newer pacemakers and such would have better sheilding or something than older 1's. I mean you would think they would see a problem with someone trying to cook their Swanson's for supper at the microwave and fix it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 11:15 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 11:47 pm:

It is possible that Warren Mortensen makes or does testing on defibrillators. He works for Medtronics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James R. Booth, DeRidder, LA on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 11:27 pm:

Thanks to all for the input.My cardiologist did not know what a Model T is but after I explained it he said normal driving would not be a problem as the implant would be at last three feet away from the magnets. This also seems to be the consensus from all the posts I read so I will drive on. I also noted there were no first hand reports of problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 04:21 am:

In the E.D. it is sometimes required that we "turn off" an implanted pacer/defibrillator with a company supplied magnet. It has to be placed directly on top of the unit, on the patients chest. If you are not laying on the flywheel or sticking the magnets on your implanted device, it should be fine. I do not believe the magneto activity is an issue, only the magnets. Driving or riding should be safe.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration