Which carb?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Which carb?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 07:41 pm:

I have a handful of carbs, and I'd like to know which one to use on a speedster. The engine is from 1923. I really like the look of the Tillotson, but know nothing about them, especially how to hook up the fuel input.

Holley NH

Kingston L

Kingston L-4 with a repair

Tillotson model C

Cheers,
chriso

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 07:42 pm:

I forgot to add, the engine is unmodified.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 07:44 pm:

None of the above! Get a Stromberg OF from Stan Howe!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 07:55 pm:

Seth,
While I admit that would be nice, I need tires, which'll cost about the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 08:07 pm:

The Kingston L, I don't think was Ford. Kingston did make carb for other car makers.
If the Tillotson is a straight through I might pick it. My second choice would be the L4, even with the repair. My L4 is my go to carb which I use in between playing with other carbs.
Even on a low budget you might think about going to larger intake valves. Stock size exhaust valves would work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 08:10 pm:

The Tillotson sounds like the banjo for the fuel inlet is missing? Post a photo of the inlet area, maybe someone can come up with a suggestion to use it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 08:25 pm:

Here is a side view. I can machine a banjo, but I'll need specs. There is also a hole at the end, did a screw go there? It is a pretty carb, I's love to use it.
cheers,
chriso

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 08:43 pm:

The carb in the lower right corner is a Tillotson. the banjo and plug should be the same. There would be the banjo, cap to hold it on and the bolt that holds all it to the body of the carb. I don't have it in hand to take better photos till Mon or Tus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 09:07 pm:

If all it is is a simple banjo that just fits over the inlet, I can turn one out in about a half hour. Cool,
Thanks!
cheers,
chriso

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 09:31 pm:

I would use the L4 or the NH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 09:55 pm:

That wasn't so hard. A couple o rings, and silver solder on an inlet and it is good to go.
I think I'll use one of the more standard of the carbs to get the thing running, as Spencer suggests. Is one less temperamental than the other?
Cheers,
chriso

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 11:01 pm:

See the current Model T Times for test results on eight carburetors commonly used on Model T Fords. Tested are Kingston Y, Holley S, Kingston L-23, Holley G, Holley NH straight, Kingston L-4, Holley NH swayback, and Stromberg OF. I'm not smart enough to understand all of it, but the bottom line is that the Stromberg did best overall, then NH swayback. The L-2 and L-4 were the worst.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 11:28 pm:

I read that write up. I was lost most of the time. My L4 has been a great carb and I would use it over the NH any day. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 11:41 pm:

I haven't opened my issue yet, I'll check it out, thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 11:49 pm:

I would get it running with the NH and then try the Tillotson. Every engine I have started with the NH was easy to get going. Just close it down and then open 1 & 3/8 of a turn and you are in business. Once running close down 1/8.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 08:36 am:

The main thing about the Kingston L carbs is they don't make very good power compared to any of the other carburetors tested. The reason they don't make very good power is a combination of poor fuel atomization and poor airflow at higher engine speeds.

The Kingston 4 ball and 5 ball carbs work pretty good but are expensive when you find one for sale and not easy for the amateur to rebuild.

Out of the carbs Chris has to choose from I would use the NH that has not been brazed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 02:39 pm:

Royce, Kingston L4's work great and have plenty of power its the L2's that are terrible

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 02:41 pm:

Royce, Kingston L4's work great and have plenty of power its the L2's that are terrible

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration