How noisy is normal ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: How noisy is normal ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 10:25 pm:

Well, its been about 3 weeks since i acquired my first T and have been spending every non-working/sleeping moment i can tinkering and getting used to the nuances of a car of this age. What great fun! The car sat for 4 years so i have been in the process of all the basic maintenance items that one would normally check, so far so good. The question that i have is how noisy is reverse compared to the forward gears in a T? Most modern transmissions i know are very noisy because of the way the gears are cut for reverse, but it seems extra loud in the T. I checked the band and the drum, and it all seems fine so is this normal, or should i be concerned?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 10:42 pm:

You can compare forward and reverse sounds at the end of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21k8N9rR0GU

I've never noticed any difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 10:48 pm:

Reverse can be growly if it has some wear, nothing to panic about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 10:50 pm:

Thanks Steve, love that vid. Now I'm worried because it doesn't seem as quite as yours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 10:55 pm:

Ed, you would think that reverse would have the least wear wouldn't you? Maybe
I'm just over-thinking this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 11:04 pm:

I always thought reverse was noisier and I've been through 3 T's so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 11:27 pm:

Charlie, i hope you're right. being this is my first, i don't know if its normal or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 11:41 pm:

In my opinion it's normal. All 3 of mine had a whiney noise in rev. very different from low. Drive & enjoy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 12:13 am:

John Noonam:

The BRASS FUSHING FLANGE in all triple gears are worn out. This causes the steel triple gears to ride directly on the fly wheel making a loud squeal when backing up. I have people bring me transmissions from all over and I have never seen a triple gear yet that had any flange left. I will try to find time tomorrow to take pictures of the brass triple gear bushings that I have removed just recently Not one had a flange left.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 12:18 am:

Thanks Dave, look forward to the pics to see if this my problem. Greatly appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 01:13 am:

Listen with your headphones - all this whining is typical.

Pay attention at the very beginning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JUEcnaiZb8

Car is a real collage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew38hVQtNnk

beginners - also, sounds like an exhaust leak:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pa7H_Fz-x4

A little louder but still typical.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EgVXi1uOdQ

Same car. (At the end of the video, the the pinion is jumping the ring gear in the rear end.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTi3VR-LEtM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 02:04 am:

Erik, mine is more typical of vid 4, but not as drastic as 5!...I don't understand how the trans seems to be fine in all its functions but seems to be aggravated in reverse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 06:59 am:

Mine makes no sound at all in forward gears but it does whine a bit in reverse. I figured it was normal and I'm not going to worry for the little bit of backing up I do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 08:28 am:

The more worn out a Model T transmission is the less noise it makes. They whine when tolerances are tight, less so when they are sloppy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 11:13 am:

In a period writing of using Ford Ts in WWI for ambulances, one writer tells of avoiding using reverse due to the noise when at the dressing station.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert C.(Bob) Borden on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 01:34 pm:

John,
I live nearby, probably w/in 20 mi.I have no plans for tomorrow afternoon. I'd be happy to come by and look at your T. Weather permitting I'll drive over in my 27 coupe. Send me a P.M.(bob-the-bldr at comcast dot net) or respond via this thread w/ your contact.
Bob Borden

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 07:33 pm:

John, the most important thing to do would be to check for endplay in the rear axles. Jack up both sides and pull in and out on the rear wheels. There should be no noticeable endplay. If it moves in about 1/16 inch or more, you need to pull the rear axle assembly and check your thrust washers. Worn thrust washers will cause a misalignment in the ring and pinion gears and lead to loss of the transmission brake. This will make loud noises but will usually be loud in all gears and most noticeable when turning to the left. If you don't find excessive endplay, drive the car and enjoy it. If the noise gets increasingly loud over a short period, then is the time to get excited about finding the carse.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 08:23 pm:

Bob, unfortunately i have to work tomorrow but that was very nice of you to offer your help, i greatly appreciate it. Maybe we could do it another time, i would love to see your car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 08:34 pm:

Norman, just checked the rear axles this weekend while installing new inner seals and repacking the bearings everything seems very tight with no excessive amounts of play to be found. The rear was rebuilt by Edward Stein of Southampton Ma. back in 86 when the car was restored, and I'm praying he installed the new style thrust washers at that time. I've heard he's very good at what he does, so fingers crossed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 04:02 am:

Love the open door Steve.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration