Aloha Wanderwell The Story of a World Traveler in a Model "T"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Aloha Wanderwell The Story of a World Traveler in a Model "T"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 07:08 am:

Aloha Wanderwell The Story of a World Traveler: The Aloha Wanderwell story is about a long and very adventurous seven-year
journey around the world in a Model T Ford, that she undertook after joining up with the Wanderwell Expedition. Learn all about
her and see a great video @ http://theoldmotor.com/?p=90247

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 10:32 am:

Thanks David for posting.

Plus there is a Facebook page for her too!

https://www.facebook.com/AlohaWanderwell

And.... the Model T Aloha finished the around the world tour, was scrapped in 1945, it had been in the Henry Ford Museum since 1929, but rendered of little historical significance by WWII. :-(

record of scrapping the Wanderwell car donated to the museum.

Unit #4 at the end of the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Olivier CHABANNE on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 03:34 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 03:57 pm:

Interesting to check out the actual photos of her T as the first one being hoisted on or off ? the ship, clearly show a 4 lug non-demountable disc wheel which are clearly Michelins (I have a set on the F.C.'s rig) - the second photo with her posing shows a 6 lug demountable rim disc wheel.

The following "artist's" rendition (Eifel (sp)Tower)show a 3 lug Disteel disc and the 4th again shows a 4 lug non-demountable clincher disc (Michelin) - just a casual observation !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 04:12 pm:

Another reminder to never donate a car or any other big or valuable object you care about to a museum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 05:26 pm:

Huh! "Casual observation" indeed! I can tell that you're still looking pretty hard for that one 4-lug Michelin demountable clincher disc that you need Steve! No luck at Bakersfield either, huh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 06:55 pm:

No Harold - out of nearly 5 or 6 sets or pairs of disc wheels at Bakersfield, not one 23" Michelin in the lot - I'm still looking !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 11:20 pm:

Many, many previous discussions on this forum. Click here:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/289857.html

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/138968.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 12:31 am:

The Wanderwell adventure was one of the inspirations for my trip in 2012. Truly amazing stuff. Also it's another good example for "newbies" (see my recent post about Francis Birtles) that a more or less standard Model T can do everything you want it to, and is the only way to go where reliability is of upmost importance.

Dan, if I remember correctly you have the blueprints for the Wanderwell body and are working on building a replica...any progress?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 11:10 am:

Constantine

Thanks for remembering correctly, something I have trouble doing from time to time :-)

Just beginning serious now, have the chassis parts mostly done, and will next week have the frame on jack stands, and begin the challenge.

The blue prints are really just line sketch views from design patent, not helpful for sure, but I have lots of photos to view, images from the Wanderwell video, etc.

The tour used at least 4 different Model T's, as many members joined in, the T's were run together as a group most of the way. Aloha mostly drove Unit 2, that is the one I am cloning.

As noticed, Unit 4 used demountable steel wheels, while Unit 2 used Disteel wheels, and a pair of extras mounted on each side of Unit 2. At Chickasha, I got the extra 6th Disteel, so have the wheels, frame, axles, firewall, engine short block and transmission done, just need to assemble it all.....and being the body copy work!

Unit 3

Unit 4

Unit 1 and trailer, don't know if this is the unit and trailer donated to the Greenfield Village in '29, as haven't found picture records of which Wanderwell car was donated. The others are lost in time :-(

So, my choice is Unit 2, as Aloha drove this the most.

And also found a Fordson tool box, note that Unit 2 had one mounted on the rear for tools! Will do the same....to my replica. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 01:30 pm:

Dan,

Great to hear you're moving forward with the project.

So the cars were painted white? Or is it yellow?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 03:05 pm:

Constantine

Best guess is off white or a very light grey.
Light grey will be my choice, can't find any written description or color photos, so who will know? :-)

The large sign is probably bright white sign board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 12:43 pm:

Dan,

Hmmm, that sign board looks too white; compare it to the white on the flag. Maybe the photo has been touched up to highlight the sign, the reason for the photo, which is an ad for the Ford dealer???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 01:15 pm:

Or maybe the flag had been through all the 151,000 miles and wasn't as white as it used to be anymore :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration