Brake Cam Wear on Differential Housing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Brake Cam Wear on Differential Housing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Corts on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 11:04 am:

I am working on a 1922 touring.

What is the best way to correct the brake cam wear on the differential housing? Both of my brake cams wore into the outer differential housing making a little channel on each side where the cam moves. I would like to make this surface flat again. Has anyone done this fix and have any ideas or tips?

Thanks
Adam Corts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Gregory on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 12:44 pm:

Cant you just replace the bushings ....unless the cam wore the hole so big the bushing stays loose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Corts on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 01:26 pm:

You can replace the bushings for side to side slop but the wear that I have is the flat area the back of the brake cam rides on. This surface keeps the brake cam at a certain depth and is part of the axle housing on the small drum axles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 01:49 pm:

Had that once, the wear at the backing plate with a groove that would let the brake cam dig in, so my fix was a washer drilled out to allow the shaft of the cam to fit, and it kept the cam out of the groove. Washer placed behind the cam.

No washer in this photo, but shows the cam lying against the backing plate where that spot can wear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 04:26 pm:

I've seen wear like that too. If you have the differential apart, I'd just remove the old bushing, and braze up the two worn places, file them down, and put in a new bushing. Might not be a bad time to replace the cams too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Corts on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 04:02 pm:

I finally got around to getting a picture of the problem. Thanks for the advise everyone. I will try to get this fixed.

Brake Cam Wear on Axle Housing

I got new brake cams and bushings. So the process to fix this would be to press out the old bushing, braze the affected area, then drill the hole to the correct diameter and Install the new bushing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 07:43 pm:

Adam I would build it up with welding, then grind it smooth. My opinion, brazing would wear away quickly and prove to be of no value.

That is the worst one I've ever seen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 08:02 pm:

Don't try to drill it out after welding, it will be very hard to get a drill bit to work without it grabbing and possibly breaking it. Use a die grinder to clean up the hole. Just take your time and check the fit often. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 09:07 pm:

A new bushing will solve the problem. The shoulder of the bushing will prevent the cam from entering the worn area. If you are concerned about the look, fill it as suggested above. Most all the RE housings I have seen have the same problem as yours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Wilson on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 09:23 pm:

Adam,

I would not try to weld up that area of your backing plate. Instead I would clean out the hole and worn area, install a new brake cam bushing, fill the worn area with JB weld, and add a 1/2 X 7/8 X .048" stainless steel shim washer between the brake cam and the backing plate.
The shim washer can be ordered from McMaster-Carr co. They come in a package of 5 for $8.74. The part no. is 96853A100.
The the end of the bushing may need to be shortened and the brake shoes may need to be relieved some in the area around the shim washer for clearance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 09:38 pm:

I use a 1/2 inch machine washer.It takes up a lot of play in the shaft and you won't live long enough to wear it out $0.89 at farm and fleet for a package of 6.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration