Help, spark plug gap.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Help, spark plug gap.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Glowacki on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 03:43 pm:

I just put in a new set of champion X plugs. The car ran rough. How do I open up the gap, bend down, bend up ?. The gap now is at 025

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 06:58 pm:

I believe that the idea was to have any oil that accumulated on the side electrode flow toward the side of the plug rather than to the center of the plug. The thought was the oil would not have an effect on the gap or cause the plug not to fire.

Therefore to answer your question, make sure the side electrode is bent in such a way that any oil that accumulates on it would flow away from the center of the side electrode when it is mounted in the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 07:02 pm:

.025 is correct gap. Are you sure that spark plugs is the reason it is running rough? You could use a long nose pliars to bend if you don't have a special tool to do so.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 07:36 pm:

Ditto, .025 is correct gap. That isn't the issue

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 07:37 pm:

Are the collars tight and sealing well? Electrodes not able to move?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 07:48 pm:

Original plug gaping is 1/32", Ford Service Book, that is just under 32thou.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 11:55 am:

I used to run the plugs at .032" gap and all was well. I read on here to run them at .025", I tried that and they quickly fouled up (in 10 miles). Went back to the .032" gap and never looked back.
So you never know. Different engines are going to need different settings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 01:17 pm:

I've said before that I've tried four or five different sets of plugs, both original and repop at .025 and the engine runs like crap. .032 and all is good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Glowacki on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 01:21 pm:

Thank you Ken and all who replied, Running them at 0.25 was not working and they fouled up quickly, I will try setting the gap at 0.30 and see what happens. I guess I have to bend the outside electrode down so oil will still drip off of it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 03:56 pm:

Gap is completely irrelevant on a engine with manual spark advance so run the gap at whatever setting works in your engine.
Gap becomes important on cars with distributors as it's also a function of timing.
The downside to wide gaps is it is harder on the coils due to the significantly increased voltage necessary to fire the plugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 04:01 pm:

Randy, I tried good champion X plugs, even NOS ones, and she never liked them for some reason. That is why I had he others in her. Maybe you will get them tweaked to work better. I didn't try very hard. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 05:53 pm:

Why do you have oil on your spark plugs?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 08:25 pm:

If you use a coil and distributor I'd set the gaps at .035", same as a model A

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 09:18 pm:

Use of gap tools is best to prevent breaking the electrode.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 08:12 am:

I set mine a .032

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 08:27 am:

My engine performance deteriorated just a bit shortly after switching from Champion 25 plugs to X plugs. I suspect it is the .025 gap. I'm going to give .032 a try. I hope I'm right in assuming that the modern capacitors I installed in my coils will result in a bigger spark which will make use of the wider gap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 04:44 pm:

The notion of oil dripping off your sparkplugs is a bit unrealistic. If you've got enough oil to actually form drips on your plugs, your motor is not going to run anyhow. Besides, with the hurricane force air/fuel mix and exhaust product swirling around inside the combustion chamber, how is a delicate little drop of oil going to gently drip off the end of a plug?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 04:59 pm:

With a strong Mag .032 is the right gap but if the mag is weak then closing the gap will compensate for that to some extent and make the car run better. Fouling plugs at either gap is not a plug issue. The X plugs are the right heat range so the issue is why is there so much oil. You could try a higher heat range plug but the real solution lies in keeping that much oil from getting to the plugs in the first place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 04:21 am:

Always set mine at .030. Works for me with Champion X plugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 12:21 pm:

Val:

Plug gap is not related in to magneto strength since the coil voltage is not a function of the magneto voltage but just whether the coil will fire or not. If a magneto is weak the coil will not reach its proper current and thus its points will not open and fire the plug. The amount of energy coming from the coil is determined by the field strength in the coil when it fires and that is determined by the coils operating current setting which is controlled by the coils vibrator spring tension. If the magneto cannot reliably get the coil current large enough to pull the vibrator down then the coil will not fire and the cylinder will miss. This is not a plug gap issue. The coils output voltage will rise as high as possible until it arcs across the external gap set by the plug but the energy in that spark has already been established by the coil firing due to its primary current setting having been reached. Unlike a distributor the T ignition is a chain reaction of more than one closure of contacts and then opening of the coils points to fire the plug with the coils energy.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration