Black Spray paint

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Black Spray paint
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 08:09 pm:

Does anyone have a recommendation on a black spray paint that closely resembles the Japan black that Ford used? I've tried a lot of different black spray paints and most will look slightly black/grey when they dry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 08:59 pm:

Gloss Black "Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy" does a superb job and is the closest true black aerosol paint I have found. I painted a fender with it in 2010 (see below thread for a picture of the fender) and took it to a professional body worker who was very impressed and could not believe it was not an expensive, professionally applied epoxy paint. Jim Patrick

www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/182651.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 09:20 pm:

That's actually better looking than the paint on most of today's new cars. If you go to a showroom, the cars there will have the most awful case of "orange-peel" you ever saw. Only the really high-end stuff has mirror-slick paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 12:32 am:

The problem with epoxy is that it's not very weather resistant. Especially the sun. Being an "Appliance Epoxy", I suspect it has zero UV inhibitors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 01:00 am:

The best black spray paint that I have found is Rustoleum Professional Grade(I think that is what it is called, I haven't used any for a few years) hands down, and believe me, I have used about every common brand that there is(or was) for the last fifty years or so. Not to be confused with the more common Rustoleum that fades after a year or so in the weather. I painted the rear wheels on my TT about ten years ago, and they still have a good shine to them and they have been out in the weather most of the time since then. As I recall, it also dries much faster than the more common Rustoleum. Hopefully, the EPA hasn't caused it to be discontinued, I haven't looked for any for a while. I agree with Ken, I haven't found any appliance epoxy that will stand up to the elements.JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 08:21 am:

DAR 9000 from PPG is still available if you look for it, you can find it online also. I just got a quart last summer as I finally ran out of my 10 year old can of still excellent paint. This stuff is still the best. Yes, it's not a spray, but it really matches the Ford, and if you're doing a small area it brushes out with a foam brush like it WAS sprayed! Larger areas, believe it or not, I use the little Preval aerosol bottle sprayer, dilute with PPG DTR600 at 60%thinner/40% paint and a drop of hardener and wow, it sprays out pretty darned good. Just a thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 09:37 am:

For little parts I find the best all around with good deep black gloss that matches DuPont Centari 99A is this:

On the left... nason spray black, available only at auto paint suppliers. The one shown is semi, but there is a gloss. Runner up is the engine paint, gloss, HI TECH, it is real pitch black too, work fine on small body parts or accessories.

The Rust Reformer is great for chassis undercoat, or clincher rim channel, or where you have left over tiny rust, as this stuff bonds to the iron oxide. Seymour Etch primer is my choice on bare steel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 07:18 pm:

I second Dan's info. NASON is the best I've ever used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 08:26 pm:

My paint recipe is this:

Rust-Oleum rust reformer
Rust-Oleum Industrial Semi Gloss black (oil based)
VHT Rollbar/Frame paint - Satin black
POR15 - used on frame

I painted my frame, differential, both springs, front axle assembly with the VHT paint and they came out sweet. Not to shiny, not too dull. Primed with Rust reformer (over POR15).

Rust-Oleum industrial paint was used on the new trunk boards and other misc items. Very durable and it matched the existing paint in the trunk perfectly.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration