Old Photo - California Oil Field 1927

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo - California Oil Field 1927
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 08:39 pm:

Imperial Valley California

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 10:46 pm:

I remember those forests of derricks all over Signal Hill, Wilmington, Torrance, and other area towns. I think it was in the sixties that they disappeared..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 02:22 am:

In the thirties and forties they were all over the Marina del Rey area all the way down to LAX. The Baldwin Hills.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 04:25 am:

I remember going out to what was probably that area in CA. in the mid to late fifties in a '49 Ford two door sedan when I was about six or eight years old to visit my Dad's sister and her husband and seeing a lot of those derricks. It seemed like they were everywhere. It was quite a sight for a kid from MO. back then. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 10:55 am:

There are still a lot of those old derricks up in the Brea Hills. I wasn't aware there was ever any oil pumping going on in Imperial County. Are you sure that is right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 11:22 am:

I didn't know there were any oilfields in Imperial Valley, but there are many around Bakersfield in the San Juaquin Valley and others around Ventura, Santa Barbara and south of Los Angeles. I can remember during the 1940's when on a trip toward Long Beach we would see the derricks everywhere. There was even one near Glendale Blvd and Temple St. near the entrance to the Subway tunnel
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration