Alternator woes...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Alternator woes...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 09:19 pm:

This past summer, I purchased a 6 volt alternator from one of the Beckers ( not sure which ) and just got around to installing it on my '26. It bolted right on and I was pleased with the 7.5 volt output. My headlights looked very nice for a change, too.

It seemed a little loud idling in the shop but I figured that was normal, so we went out for a short ride into town, maybe 8 miles round trip. It soon seemed to be growling loudly so I took it easy and got home at low rpm, thinking that maybe a bearing was bad in the alternator. There was no bearing heat, so I pulled it off the car and found that the steel gear of the alternator had ground into my nice aluminum cam gear and made the engine oil look like glitter glue. I dumped the oil and removed the inspection pan to get ALL of the contaminated oil out of my engine.

Was there a batch of these put out with badly made gears? I recall something of a Becker family riff after the fathers passing. I will dig up my paper work about this shortly. Bummer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 09:43 pm:

Your gears mesh may have been to tight. The casting the generator mounts to may have needed to be shimmed out from the block. Even with a stock generator sometimes the casting need to be shimmed out to get the correct mesh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 09:51 pm:

I agree with Mark.... mine needed a two gaskets on the generator mounting bracket at the block to get better/quieter gear mesh..... have a few somewhere if you need Dave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 09:59 pm:

Dave:

I still have to get my radiator leaks fixed here in town, lucky enough to have someone so close !! and besides I start a new position on Thursday !! Say Hi to Scott & May for me ..... and a hug for Cathy from me.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 10:27 pm:

How do U measure the clearance between the timing and generator gears? Here's something that may work: Place a piece of cigarette paper on one of the gears so that when U turn the crank the paper will be drawn through the gears. Install the generator and turn the crank. If the paper is cut when going through the gears, the clearance is too tight. The paper may also give you and indication if the clearance is too loose. That's the way I used to check the clearance of the ring and pinion gears. FWIW or M2CW.

As far as the Becker's are concerned, you can't find better folks to deal with!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 11:15 pm:

You might want to check for gear wobble on the Becker alternator. Some years past I made the elder Becker aware that the rear of the gear was cut off not machined off. It had 20 thou of run out at one side of the rear that made the gear wobble when tight to the bearing. The elder Becker called the CNC folk to correct the issue.
Mine has run great for years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 06:43 am:

Thanks guys. The clearance must be too tight and I will also check the gear for runout. Bob, I do have some of those very thin paper shim/gaskets for that area. So, I'm guessing that the mesh can't be checked with the unit in place...hence the cigarette paper test? Hey Bob, enjoy those Edison Records from Florida! You have to see the Regina record player with the tin discs. Amazing machine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 10:54 am:

It can be check in place with the timing cover off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 12:14 pm:

Good. Tonight's project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 05:56 pm:

Dave Young:

Wrapping up semi-retirement, hitting full time on Thursday,,,, Yes those Edison Diamond Discs were a great find in Florida.... have a set of coils to deliver tonight, just add another block/generator bracket gasket & see if that quiets the fat lady's "singing"...... LOL ... Later .........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 05:59 pm:

Dave Young:

Wrapping up semi-retirement, hitting full time on Thursday,,,, Yes those Edison Diamond Discs were a great find in Florida.... have a set of coils to deliver tonight, just add another block/generator bracket gasket & see if that quiets the fat lady's "singing"...... LOL ... Later .........

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration