Friends make it all worth it

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Friends make it all worth it
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Mulrooney, Webster, NY on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 10:33 pm:

I just want to take a minute to say thank you. No matter what you do in life, having someone to share it with means all the difference. Whether you are pulling a motor...mounting wheels, or anything else.... if you have good friends by your side to laugh, shout or cry with you....you are blessed indeed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 11:02 pm:

Patrick, I couldn't agree more. I have great friends in the Great Northern Model T Club that are always there when I need them. They're wonderful people. Also, this morning I got out of my recliner to go to the kitchen. I must have stood up too fast or had a reaction to my blood pressure meds or possibly both. I fainted and went down and through the top of my plate glass coffee table. My very dear friend that comes over to have coffee every morning found me on the floor covered in blood. He took me to the emergency room at the hospital while his wife cleaned the blood out of my carpet and stayed with my animals. I spent 5 hours in the Emergency Room and ended up with seven stitches in my chin and several more in my side. This evening another neighbor brought supper over so I wouldn't have to cook. Then my friend that took me to the hospital stopped by to check on me. I'm by myself and have to look after my own well-being. The lady I was married to and my children abandoned me several months ago because I didn't fit their idea of a good husband and father. After 33years they finally realized what a jackass I was. Heck most of you realized it within one or two of my posts :-). The thing is, I moved into a mobile home park in order to have a roof over my head. I've made better friends since moving here than I'd had throughout my life. A lot of people turn their noses up at people like us but at least we're not phony and we're here for each other. And as one last thought I'd like to add; in the words of the old lady on the floor in her kitchen; "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 11:24 pm:

Mike,hope you get to feeling better soon. Believe I'd deep six the glass tables.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 01:23 am:

Mike, I am glad you had friends that just "stopped by"! Get better soon!

Patrick M, Mike is a good fellow. He, I, and we, second, third, fourth and on down the line, your comments. I find myself not liking a lot of people in this world. On the other hand, I find that I like most model T people. I don't know just why it is, maybe the special connection to OUR history that model Ts seem to have simply attracts people that are better than most? Or maybe it is just the non-pretentious nature of the model T? Model T people usually seem to be good, all over this land.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 03:31 am:

Dang Mike, I agree with Jack, get rid of that table!(sounds like you already did!). My wife has a cousin that had one of those years ago. They didn't have trouble falling on it, but the damn thing was hard to see when you walked by it and everyone kept running into it! Maybe you need to get a girlfriend to keep an eye on you. Check out your meds, it may not be blood pressure related. Talk to your VA. Take care. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 07:09 am:

Mike -- I'm sure glad your friend stopped by to check on you. Sorry for the hard times you are going through. But your a survivor -- you've made it this many years and you know how to get back up after you've been knocked down. I've really enjoyed Dr. Henry Cloud's book "Necessary Endings." It has helped me realize that endings are a part of life. For a quick summary please see: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-art-endings/201102/necessary-endings

Patrick -- thank you for the reminder that we often get so busy we forget about the great friends and what they mean to us. By the way, I really like the photo of your 1916 on your profile page.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 08:11 am:

Mike I'm sorry to hear of your having fallen, glad you're OK. Love your humor. Like you, I am what I am, if others don't like it, well, it's a personal problem to me! Hang in there, and as they say, "don't let the bastards get ya down".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Mulrooney, Webster, NY on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 11:21 am:

Mike, I am so sorry to hear of your mishap but happy that all is now well. Sounds like you have surrounded yourself with some pretty nice folks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 11:47 am:

Mike -
I am also sorry that you had a problem, but as many have said, "It is good to have friends that care."

Remember it is a two way street. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 12:34 pm:

Yes friends make a big difference in life.
1 day I get a package I didnt expect and it was valve related tools for small engine work. Jack Daron found them cheap and sent to me. I just used them last week to repair a friends machine that needed it going to feed his family.
Since my income got clipped I sometimes dont get what I want all the time but I have yet to lack for anything I needed because of friends looking out for me.
Makes all the difference.
Mike,I would pad the coffee table top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 01:18 pm:

Very few of us will be remembered for what we've done for ourselves. We will most likely all be remembered for what we've done for others.

In the words of a Grandpa Jones song, "The only things we'll take are what we gave away." (title: Falling Leaves)

Thanks Patrick. You are part of what makes our hobby great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 01:51 pm:

You guys are right on!

I've got to tell about a new friend I found, his name is Art Wilson in Sandy Eggo.

I had posted a couple of questions about how to fix my wood wheels that were out of round and I was finally going to fix them.

Art sent me an email with an idea of how to true up the wood wheel and invited me down to his shop to work on the wheels. We had a wonderful time "playing together" fixing our wheels. They came out perfect.

Another example of how great this forum can be and helping friends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Mulrooney, Webster, NY on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 02:52 pm:

Mack, Gene, thanks for sharing! Truly great examples. I spent Sunday with the group of "Friends" I was referring to. We spent the 1st half of the day pulling the motor on a Friends (Marty's)Lizzie. At any one time there were 4-6 of us either wrenching or giving advice (being the newbie, I was on the receiving end of the advice. :-) )
The latter half was spent mounting (loaned from a friend) rear wheels on my 1916. From tearing down to building back up, we came full circle. The day ended on a high note with cheers and high fives when I got a "freebie" starting the car... Doesn't get much better than that!

Anyone else have a good story to share? With so much negativity in the news these days, it would be nice to hear some story's of friendship and neighbor helping neighbor.

Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 03:30 pm:

Mike - Thanks for your friends. We don't want to lose a great Model T'er like you. You're in my prayers.

Patrick - Thank you for starting this thread as we often need to be reminded to appreciate our friends.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 09:56 pm:

Thanks guys. It always seems the best lessons are usually the hardest. I'll be the first to admit I'm often far from the nicest person on this forum. Sometimes I look back at some of the things I've subjected some of you too and have to pray my ignorant rants don't cut to deep. Often I find myself looking back and thinking if my Dad was still alive he'd have me back by the woodshed and I'd get a lesson in manners. And though I've got a ways to go, I want to thank this forum for putting up with my crap and Chris for not blocking me completely. I've seriously been trying to back off on some of the sarcasm and listen and learn.

That being said I've also got to say I've met some great guys through this forum. Though I get frustrated with Royce and Robs never-ending and yet somehow endearing debates I hope they'll never stop. Mr Jelf, you're one of a kind. You've pulled me aside and caused me to reassess my opinion of others a couple times. Wayne, Jack, Hap, Fred, Mack, Patrick, Fred, Tim, Keith and all the guys in my Model T club and many many more are always there when I need ya. Jerry VanOoteghem and Charlie B., I mention you two in particular because you're the most influential at getting me to pause from time to time and if for no other reason then to catch my breath you've made more of an impact on me (good or bad) than any. Danial, you're just plain fun and Ralph, you'll always occupy that special place reserved for special people. Stay strong my friend. Jay, Lance, Herb what a great contribution your photos make to this forum. And I could keep going! Les, Steve, Bill, George and all the other Mikes, etal. You all make this forum a special place to come to every night. And with the price of fuel what it is; it's become a pretty good value. So thank you y'all and God bless!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 10:38 pm:

Mike just to put it in perspective. My neighbor, 1/2 mile away, was pruning trees about a week ago. Went in the house to take a break. Slipped, fell, hit his head on a table,and was pronounced dead on the spot.
SO consider your self very fortunate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 11:58 pm:

That reminds me of a story. In Sept 2008 I was putting up a deer stand for bow hunting. I went up to the top of the ladder and before I could get myself securely on the platform I fell 15 ft and broke 4 lumbar vertebrae in 5 places. I felt sorry for myself until I heard about the guy on the other side of town went off his the same way and died instantly. It's odd how things happen. I'm sorry to hear about your neighbor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 03:00 am:

When I was growing up, there was a girl in my classes that lived just a block away. One day, about sixth grade, Mom and the two daughters went to the grocery store, leaving Dad at home. He decided to change out a burned out light bulb in the house, stood on a chair to do it. When the mom and two daughters got back from the store, they found Dad dead on the floor. He had slipped, fell and hit his head on an end table.
I learned several things that day, things I carry with me and use to this day and beyond.
Enjoy life! Make friends and treat them well. And spend quality time with them. No one knows how much time they have ahead of them.
Now if I could just get my idiot family to learn and understand that.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 09:03 am:

AWW shucks Mike - you are going to embarrass usin old guys if you keep talkin about us that way! :-)

Seriously - Although I have not met most of the people on this forum face to face, I believe that we have a special relationship based on caring and sharing of a common interest. I know that when I get into trouble with the T or get depressed, I can come here to get answers, a pick-me-up, or be tolerated when I want to vent.

It helps to know that many of you have the same religious and political beliefs as I do.
When I read about someone having a problem I may not be able to give physical help but I can certainly pray for a friend.

As Patrick said "if you have good friends by your side to laugh, shout or cry with you....you are blessed indeed"

Yes we are a blessing to each other :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 09:17 am:

Well Wayne if there is one thing I learned from your story...I would go to the store and ask my wife to change the light bulb!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 10:48 am:

Mike G.,

Thank you for your kind comments, you have made my day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 08:01 pm:

Even though I live on the other coast, I'm glad I was able to help you.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration